new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireloo

Reaction score
Hello folks. My name is Bryan and I'm a first time brewer. Just started my first batch today. Please reassure me that I didn't screw it up.
Cooked up a Fuggles IPA and did not siphon the wort. Assumed I could siphon when I transfer (rack?) to the secondary. Is this acceptable?
Also, I've been frightened into believing that the wort must be cooled as quickly as possible. I had 3 gallons in the kettle and used 2 gallons equivalent of ice to cool it and immediately added an active Wyeast propigator smack pack to the wort which had a temp below the 50 degree lowest reading on my thermometer.
Will I be alright or did I shock the yeast too much?
Looking forward to the hobby, the end product and all your advice. Thanks

What do you mean exactly when you say that you did not syphon your wort? 50 degrees and below for any real period of time will cause any ale yeast to go to sleep, and could really stress out the yeast if they were much warmer than that when they were pitched.
Cooling your wort quickly is important to avoid the temps where it can become infected easily, and it also increases the ammount of break material, which when you syphon from your boil kettle to the fermentor, will leave more junk behind and give you a cleaner beer.

The Pol

I mean that I poured the wort from the boil kettle to the primary fermenter. All five gallons of it.
The yeast was probably around 75 degrees when I pitched it into the much colder wort.

Cooling your wort to 75 degrees in 30 minutes will suffice. That is a pretty large temp differential. Watch it to see if the yeast survived, warm it gradually to about 70 deg F and if within a couple days you dont see action, think seriously about re-pitching. Right now you an buy an immersion chiller for less than you can build one in many cases, I highly recommend the investment.

The Pol

Latest posts

Back