Please Evaluate my Wit Bier Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Well, too many brown and dark ales for me. I'm doing a Belgian Wit Bier. Let me know what you guys think of my grain bill...still not sure which hops I'm using from my stash.

10 lbs. Pale Malt

2 lbs. Malted White Wheat

1 lbs. Simpson's Naked Golden Oats

1 lb. Malted Rye

1 lb. Belgian Biscuit Malt

1 lb. Clear Belgian Candi Sugar

Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724

The only things I'm not sure on is whether I need all 3 lbs. of the wheat malt or if 2 will do the trick. Anyone want to share their input on that? I was thinking about substituting that last pound of malted wheat with Simpson's Malted Oats. The other thing is the debate as to whether I should use the candi sugar. So far, the signs point to yes.

Thank guys!

You used saison yeast - you're making a Saison. Use a Wit yeast if you want a Wit. I can't comment much, but I all the recipes I have seen were in the 60/40 Pils/Flaked Wheat frame.

With Pale Malt, malted wheat, and saison yeast- you're making a saison. Probably a fairly tasty saison, but a saison indeed.

The reason I chose the Saison yeast was because it was mostly similar to the Wit yeast (in my opinion) plus I wanted some esters instead of a totally phenolic profile.

Edit: Heh, nothing wrong with a little innovation. I guess this'll be a wheat Saison, though I'm excited to see how the rye, oats and candi sugar play out in this one. The last time I made a Saison was when I was still doing extract!

Back