first full mash! -low sparging temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
i nailed the mash temps, then waited too long to sparge with my bottling bucket. i'm sparging now at 160ish. What will the results be in an ale? I'm doing a sam adams clone.

You should be fine at 160. You may get a bit less efficiency, but you certainly won't extract tannins. Batch or fly sparge?

Shouldn't affect much-- you might end up with lower effeciency, but that's it.

Make sure you sparge nice and long-- the longer the better-- minimum of one hour.

You must not have a direct fired HLT or a well insulated HLT if it dropped that quick.

BTW-- doing a Sam Adam's Clone as an ale probably won't end up tasting like
Sam Adam's== I'm assuming you're going for the Boston lager.

well, i'm new to this so i'm using phils sparge arm on top of the grain bed, slowly. the liquid is starting to run clear. is that good or bad?

take a gravity reading of the runnings (cool the sample first!!!). If it's below 1.008, then you should stop sparging.

turfguy1969 said:
well, i'm new to this so i'm using phils sparge arm on top of the grain bed, slowly. the liquid is starting to run clear. is that good or bad?

clear or colorless--

If it's clear, that's good-- if its colorless, you're not picking up your sugars.

Keep an inch or two of water on top of your grainbed at all times-- again-- sparge very slowly for maximum efficiency.

Sounds good to me.
To get the sparge temperatures up for the next batch, you could try a mash out by adding about 1g near boiling water at the end of the mash. This should raise the temperature up to 168 - 170. When I started doing this, I got a 10% increase in efficiency.

-a.

thanks for all who helped me. So if the malt is a little low on sugar content, how can I push it up a bit? What sugars can be added before boiling?

Back