Tasting pre-fermented wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMO

Reaction score
I recently started tasting my pre-fermented wort after I've taken SP readings, just to see how it tastes vs. how the finish product tastes. The latest batch, which is an experimental Imperial Stout recipe, tastes overly sweet, almost like a cup of coffee that you've put WAY too much sugar in. I can only assume, based on the huge amout of extract I put in that this is the result. Also, as the yeast does it's thing I can only assume that a good amount of that sugar will be used up by the yeast. Anyone else have any thoughts, or will that flavor transfer over to the final product?

Imperials are high ABV beers and ferment for LONG periods of time, so it stands to reason that the pre-ferment wort is sugary

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks

I did an Imperial Stout kit from NB and I had very poor attenuation and my beer ended up pretty sweet after leaving it in the fermentor for 4 weeks. The beer is still fine just a little sweeter than I would have liked, but its not the end of the world for me.

yeast ferments sugar into alcohol...ergo the higher your OG, the sweeter the unfermented beer will taste (of course hop bitterness will counter the sweetness to an extent).

absolutely normal for unfermented beer to taste sweet, usually cloyingly so.

The next batch you do, taste the extract. It has a great caramel like sweetness to it (Many people use it as a sweetener in baking...). That is until (as stated) the yeast gets a hold of it...

I think it is a great idea to taste the extract, and the wort from every batch, along with any grains you are using. I also like to sample the before kegging or bottling also. But don't just put it in your mouth, look at it, smell it, then taste it. Make it a whole Zen thing.

This is one of my favorite things about brewing. I love tasting the beer during the various stages, and taking notes on how the flavor changes as it matures.

Speaking of which: I'm going to visit my family in about a month, and I'm really looking forward to tasting some beers that I left in their fridge :ban:

Kegerator said:
I think it is a great idea to taste the extract, and the wort from every batch, along with any grains you are using. I also like to sample the before kegging or bottling also. But don't just put it in your mouth, look at it, smell it, then taste it. Make it a whole Zen thing.

What he said.

Yeah, I taste the unfermented wort of every batch of beer I make, and it is all incredibly sweet, which is what it should taste like.

I even like to taste my spent grains after a mash to see how much residual sugars are left in the grain! I always calculate my efficiency, but I'm curious to see if I can eventually get any useful (albeit subjective) information after a lot of experience.

I'm also surprised at how various yeasts make beers taste at different times during the fermentation, and how those flavors seem to dissappear completely with time.

Back