Hello from a new brewer and some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyGuy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got a brewing kit as a Christmas gift and this is the first time I've ever attempted to brew beer. I'm super pumped about it though and I think it will be something I will enjoy doing.

I am using a Barons beer kit, and the recipe is their Canadian Golden Ale. This is the type of kit where the wort comes pre-made in a bag and you just add water, bentonite, yeast and hops.

I started the brew on Saturday morning and it has been sitting in a closet turning into delicious beer ever since (now on day 4). Through some surprising restraint I've only popped the lid open to look inside twice. The first was on the second day to see what was happening (there was lots of foaming and fizzing going on). After that I realized if I kept quiet I could hear the fizzing of the fermentation without looking inside.

The second look was today when I no longer heard that fizzing sound. I took a peak inside and it looked like the fermentation had slowed down considerably.

Now the kit suggests that after this initial fermentation dies down (3-6 days) I should move it into the secondary fermenter. I was planning on doing this tomorrow (assuming the SG readings were ok), but after reading some posts on this forum, it looks like most people suggest at least a week in the primary fermenter before moving it to the secondary (or not even using the secondary at all).

I am leaving for a new years ski trip tomorrow afternoon and won't be back until Sunday (8 days into the brew).

1) Should I wait until I get back from the ski trip to move to the secondary, even if my SG readings are ok tomorrow? (I'm assuming the answer is yes on this one)

2) Should I move to the secondary at all? The instructions on the brew kit said I should and I have the glass carboy to move it into. Also, the primary fermenter I am using does not have any sort of blow off valve, but I do have one that fits onto the carboy.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Happy Brewing!

Hi and welcome. If it were mine, I'd let it sit in primary until you get back, then rack to your carboy for another couple of weeks. Then your fermenting bucket is free to start another batch :)

Cheers!

Many around here will tell you to just leave it in a primary for 3 weeks then let it sit in the bottle for 3 weeks. You risk having ZERO off flavors by leaving it in the primary this long and the yeast will have an opportunity to "clean up after themselves."

Welcome to the hobby. You'll be doing allgrain before you know it.

Leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, then take your gravity readings. If all is well then move on to bottling, and let it bottle condition for 3 weeks at 70*.

Leave it until at least after your trip, to give the yeast some time to clean up after the week-long party.

If you don't have a second bucket for bottling, you are going to have to move it to the secondary anyway, if only to free up your bucket for bottling... I say toss it in there and leave it for a while, Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the bentonite a fining agent? Your would normally put that in the secondary to help it settle out further.

There are lots of opinions and lots of advice on this forum that is all going to help you move forward in this hobby, but don't worry to much about your first batch :D Just try to be patient, waiting is the hardest part at this stage.

Also, the primary fermenter I am using does not have any sort of blow off valve, but I do have one that fits onto the carboy.

When you say blow off valve are you referring to an air lock/fermentation lock? If so I would move it into the secondary and get an air lock on it asap. If not and your primary has an air lock it should be fine. I primary for 4 weeks with no secondary but I also ferment in glass, not sure if the plastic bucket makes a difference or not? hope this helps :mug:

Back