Six row recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skullfingr

Reaction score
Hello again everyone!
I accidentally put the six row malt in the bag with the two row at 50/50 consistency. Are there any styles or recipes that use this kind of malt? What kind of beer might it make?

I was thinking about using it with a pound of my remaining chocolate malt with my reused and washed Wyeast 1388.

Thoughts?

A CAP would be the obvious choice for a 6-row base. Frankly you can just use that 50/50 mix the same way you would use plain 2-row pale.

Has anybody tested if they can actually tell the difference between 2 row and 6 row

Classic American Pilsner. 6-row and corn. Yech IMO.

Thank you!

So, I tasted the last batch which was just the 50/50 2-row and 6-row with an inordinate amount of hops and it's DELICIOUS.

This batch I'm using the same 50/50 (since I had a large quantity) with a little less than a pound of chocolate malt and a cup of honey with the washed yeast. I hope it turns out just as good as the last.

FYI:

2-row (left) & 6-row (right) Hard to see, but yes there are 6 vertical rows up the shaft of the plant.
two-row-barley-49669.jpg

2-row (top) & 6-row (botom). 2-row is PLUMP!
img_2row6row-49668.jpg

Awesome info passedpawn.

I'm trying to nail down what kind of style these would be. The 50/50 2 and 6 row, and then the chocolate malt with the 50/50 blend.

I know six row has more enzymes/proteins as well.

Hmm..

I was thinking about using it with a pound of my remaining chocolate malt with my reused and washed Wyeast 1388.

Thoughts?

I think that would be tasty. But also consider getting the enzymes in that 6-row to work on an adjunct like corn. Maybe try:

Potsville Common

6 lbs of your 2-row/6-row mix
2 lbs Flaked Corn
12 oz C80L (or maybe that chocolate malt)
8 oz Munich
0.5 oz Cluster @60
Whirlfloc Tablet @20
0.5 oz Cascade @10

Maybe Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080) or Notty

What I did (without other adjuncts):

2lb 50/50 Mix (2-Row, 6-Row)
1lb Chocolate Malt
1 Cup Ambrosia Honey (Locally Harvested)
1oz Hops (Zeus)
1 Gallon water

Turned out with about a quarter gallon at 1.16 OG after boil. Added (boiled/cooled) water to half gallon for 1.068 Gravity. Added washed yeast made into a starter using 1cup water and .5 cups DME (wheat). We'll see how it goes!

I've been making 1 gallon batches in order to experiment. I know it seems small but I'm the only one drinking it so I see no issue. :)

Latest posts

Back