wine not fermenting after racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginiaDrew

Reaction score
I am making frozen strawberry wine as per Jack's Recipe. It was fermenting well in the primary but when i transferred to the secondary it stopped. Is this normal, this is my first wine. I have attached a picture. Thanks!

2011-10-30_13-56-46_733.jpg

I am making frozen strawberry wine as per Jack's Recipe. It was fermenting well in the primary but when i transferred to the secondary it stopped. Is this normal, this is my first wine. I have attached a picture. Thanks!

Yes, it's normal. Do you have a hydrometer? That's how you tell if the fermentation is finished or stalled.

You have a lot of lees in there. How long ago did you transfer it?

friday, today is sunday so two days ago. I didnt check the OG because of all the strawberries would threw it off, still should have done it. should i try to take it now and check it later? It never bubbles though. Thanks for the quick reply.

friday, today is sunday so two days ago. I didnt check the OG because of all the strawberries would threw it off, still should have done it. should i try to take it now and check it later? It never bubbles though. Thanks for the quick reply.

No, there really isn't any need to check the SG right at the moment. I'd wait about 30 days, and then rack it off of all those lees. You can check the SG then, and top up with a commercial wine since you'll lose a bit of volume when you rack. A light white wine, like sauvignon blanc, would work to top up.

Hi I'm a complete novice, but I thought my wine wasn't bubbling until I realised that the co2 was escaping around the cork! You could try Vaseline around the bung?

Hi I'm a complete novice, but I thought my wine wasn't bubbling until I realised that the co2 was escaping around the cork! You could try Vaseline around the bung?

Well, the wine should be done anyway and I'd be very hesitant to put vaseline (a petroleum product) anywhere near the rubber stopper or my wine! Bubbling doesn't matter, and in fact by the time the wine has been in secondary a couple of days, it's shouldn't be bubbling since it should be finished. I'd recommend leaving well enough alone!

Back