Digital ph meter probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnel

Reaction score
How do you all keep your probe on the solution to preserve it from drying out. I bought a solution and it just seems to evaporate and gunk up all over the meter.

I've tried putting a tiny amount in the cap and just filling up a disposabls shot glass and putting the pen in that. Both times simular results.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I soak a piece of sponge or cotton cloth in distilled water and leave in the cap. It usually lasts for a 6-8 weeks.

marnel said:
How do you all keep your probe on the solution to preserve it from drying out. I bought a solution and it just seems to evaporate and gunk up all over the meter.

Not possible to my knowledge.
I store my probes in a 50ml flask and refill as required.
pH_Probe_Storage-S.jpg

This type of storage container requires frequent refilling, I still use it.
pH-Probe_Storage-S.jpg

I soak a piece of sponge or cotton cloth in distilled water and leave in the cap. It usually lasts for a 6-8 weeks.

Source Cole-Parmer: Storing Electrodes
For best results, always keep the pH bulb wet, preferably in a storage solution or in pH 4.01 buffer with 1/100 part of saturated potassium chloride (KCl) added. Other pH buffers or tap water are acceptable storage media, but avoid storing in distilled water because it will deplete the hydration layer of refillable electrodes, and decrease the life of nonrefillable electrodes.

My advice, check your electrode owners manual for details.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back