Adding Fruit to a Blonde...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding some Strawberry Puree to a Blonde Ale. The Blonde has a good bit of residual sweetness and a lot of body and is already in the keg and carbonated. I'm trying to decide how I want to add the Strawberry to the beer.

Pour the beer into a carboy onto the strawberry puree and referment with Cal Ale Yeast or just put the puree into the keg and let it soak in?

Any suggestions?

Did you filter it? I don't think you need to add any yeast. I usually add the fruit to my strawberry blonde in secondary and let them sit for a month or so.

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch, be sure you use a 6.5 gallon carboy, or better yet a bucket. The volume of strawberries + beer, in addition to what is usually a vigorous second fermentation for me, means I always end up with beer on the ceiling when I try it in a 5 gallon carboy.

I would personally simply add a fruit extract to the keg and give it a good stir. They are steril, and no re-fermenting is needed.

They make a strawberry one at most places you buy them at, here just one place...

NORTHERN BREWER: Flavorings

fruit-extracts.jpg

Did you filter it? I don't think you need to add any yeast. I usually add the fruit to my strawberry blonde in secondary and let them sit for a month or so.

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch, be sure you use a 6.5 gallon carboy, or better yet a bucket. The volume of strawberries + beer, in addition to what is usually a vigorous second fermentation for me, means I always end up with beer on the ceiling when I try it in a 5 gallon carboy.

No, I didn't filter it -- but has been in the keg for about 2 - 3 weeks.

I'm starting to think I should just do some extract as suggested by IXVolt. It may not be as flavorful as puree, but I think it'll be easier at this stage of the game

I would quarter 2-4# of streawberries, freeze then overnight, toss them in the carboy and rack the beer onto it. Leave it sit for a week.

Purees will contain extra sugars.
extracts may contain artificial flavors
real fruit is all natural, and gives the yeasties some fun!

2# of Raspberries after 48hours in an wheat ale. after about 5 days, they were white and sank...
Media_CardBlackBerrypicturesIMG00029.jpg

I've heard that strawberries will ferment out and the taste will change into something that does not resemble strawberries at all. Anyone know about this? I'd try the essence and see how it tastes. Or if someone wants to do an experiment, it might be enlightening.

My first Blonde I kegged at my friends and it didn't turn out well at all, probably due to only having a 60min hop addition (was trying to appeal to the BMCers, didn't work). To make it drinkable I added some Strawberry extract or whatever from the LHBS. It made it drinkable and most people actually liked it. It did have that fake strawberry taste. I'd rather have real strawberries than fake taste. We already had the Blonde carbed and kegged for a few weeks, then released the pressure, opened it, poured the strawberry in, closed it, shook it, and hooked it back up to the gas.

My first Blonde I kegged at my friends and it didn't turn out well at all, probably due to only having a 60min hop addition (was trying to appeal to the BMCers, didn't work). To make it drinkable I added some Strawberry extract or whatever from the LHBS. It made it drinkable and most people actually liked it. It did have that fake strawberry taste. I'd rather have real strawberries than fake taste. We already had the Blonde carbed and kegged for a few weeks, then released the pressure, opened it, poured the strawberry in, closed it, shook it, and hooked it back up to the gas.

That's the most appealing option to me right now. I would like to try strawberry puree too, but I can't find it. I've heard real strawberries aren't worth the trouble.

No, I didn't filter it -- but has been in the keg for about 2 - 3 weeks.
The yeast is still there, and it will still ferment just fine.

I've heard that strawberries will ferment out and the taste will change into something that does not resemble strawberries at all. Anyone know about this?
Tastes like strawberries to me and everyone who drinks my beer. Of course I'm not going for a HUGE strawberry flavor but just a hint. So it might be different at various levels of intensity.

Strawberries 'sound' great in a beer, but they're not. They just don't work well with beer period. You would be better off with some of that funky strawberry extract than to waste good fresh strawberries...

With the extract, the flavors won't be transformed by the yeast... and it's like 3-4 bucks. Also when you toss strawberry's in the keg, they might clog the dip tube when you are trying to draw a pint!

Back