3 weeks to ferment whites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sareinhart

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting 1 or 2 keezers primarily for homebrew beer. (1 for kegs / tap system, the other for a fermentation chamber) BUT, I also want to have room for fermenting white wines. I just want to be sure - because it doesn't seem right to me- that white wines typically finish primary fermentation in about a week at a temp around the low 60s F. Then secondary fermentation in the high 50s for 2 weeks?

After that, I can bottle? Can it really be that quick?

--- and reds typically ferment at warm temperatures - 70-85F? If that's the case, I will not make any allowance for them in the keezer planning.

When I cool ferment Whites they are done actively fermenting within 3 weeks but they still drop lees and improve in flavor for a lot longer.

The best Blanc Du Bois I ever made was fermented at 55* for Primary and it was amazing.

Reds that ferment at 85* ambient will have a "hot" taste that will need a long time to age out.

70* will not be a problem, but just know that the must or "juice" will heat up as it ferments so 85* air or ambient will give you that "hot yeast" flavor.

Some people like it, and some people age reds for a couple of years, but if you DON'T want it, don't put it in there in the first place... reds can ferment cool too if you want to try something VERY fruity and amazing!

Thanks. I'm just amazed that active fermentation is so quick. I thought it would be alot longer than beer but, I guess not.

After active fermentation is over, will I get good results if I keep the wine in a basement that's around 54-66 degrees ambient temperature?

Back