Shave the area, and take these pills...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flingdingo

Reaction score
I noticed I have been slacking off with my bottling lately, the last two batches have had several crooked caps. Quite a few of the crooked cap bottles didn't carbonate, and had some growth in the neck.

The growth looked like the yeast cake in the bottom of the bottle, but it was clinging to the sides of the bottle, above beer level. These I dumped.

I recently noticed that a few of the correctly capped bottles have the same growth in the neck, but less of it. :mad: Oh, and the bottles with the growth had some chill haze while the good bottles didn't.

So I decided what the hell, I have the whole weekend to be sick, and I tasted one of the questionable bottles. I opened a bad bottle and a good bottle, poured them into separate glasses, and tasted. The bottle with the growth was slightly more bitter than the one without, but otherwise tasted fine.

So... Do I have an infection? Is the growth in the neck some strange bacteria trying to take over my brewery?

I will try to post a picture of a bad bottle...but this will be stretching both my computer knowledge, and the abilities of my special needs internet connection:p

I'm pretty sure you now have ebola. You should send all of the bottles to me, even the ones that don't have crooked caps, just to be sure. Oh yeah, see a doctor too..... but after you mail the beer.

Back