Grain mill. who has the best bang for the buck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warex

Reaction score
I got a good deal and bought a couple bags of two row. Of course I can't use them because I don't have a mill. Like a lot of people money is tight. But I don't want the cheapest I want the one that is the best over all value. I don't live that far from grizzly and could buy a corona for $25 bucks from them.

1. A mill is going to last for years.
2.A mill that has a good warranty.
3.A mill that is going to do a good job.

I paid $150 for my CrankAndStein 3-roller mill about 6 years ago and it is still going strong. I highly recommend it.

avidhomebrewer said:
I paid $150 for my CrankAndStein 3-roller mill about 6 years ago and it is still going strong. I highly recommend it.

That's awesome but I spent like 40 for my corona "setup" and it will last a life time and that's 110 to buy other stuff

I love my Barley Crusher and it's lifetime warranty. It's ready to mill grain out of the box.

MyBarleyCrusher.jpg

That's awesome but I spent like 40 for my corona "setup" and it will last a life time and that's 110 to buy other stuff

Well, I started with a Corona and it only lasted 3 batches (milling 10# each) before it died a slow and miserable death. I wouldn't buy one again, but that is my opinion.

One more for the barley crusher. I put it on my Christmas list a few years ago and Mom bought it! I'm loved.

I just received my cereal killer roller mill from adventures in home brewing, got it on sale for a grand total of $85.44 shipped. Normal price is $99 with free shipping. It came out of the box ready to work. It's basically a barley crusher knock off but built with hardened rollers rather than cold rolled, so should last longer. The crank handle is a joke, way to short to really use but I have no intentions of hand cranking it anyway. It does not have a lifetime warranty like a barley crusher, only 6 months. with shipping the barley crusher will come in About $45 higher, but you do get that life time warranty........

Given the title of the article, I wouldn't hesitate to buy my "Victoria" branded Corona mill again. It cost $23 shipped from Discount Tommy on eBay, and I've used it for all my grist for over 2.5 years, and hit all my numbers with no complaints.*

*This is NOT a finely crafted precision machine. It is a crude hunk of cast iron, made for people who don't have much money to grind corn meal every day. It's just fortuitous that it also happens to be very good at producing the type of grind we need for our malt.

If the cereal crusher had the same warranty as the Barley crusher then it would be a no brainier. Personalty I am leaning towards the Barley crusher because of the warranty and that it comes ready to use. The Crankandstein mill looks nice but you need to order parts separately. Their basic one with hopper and base comes delivered with in a dollar of the barley crusher though.

...Of course I can't use them because I don't have a mill.

Can't you just get it crushed at your LHBS? I'm usually out there anyway to buy specialty grains & hops and they've always been happy to crush for me.

I didn't buy it from him. I bought it from someone else for half what he charges. It wouldn't be right to ask him. Besides I am going to keep buying it this way so I need a mill.

LOVE my barley crusher! It was one of the best purchases in homebrewing I have made.

No a lot less than that.

But that is really beside the point. I am trying to find out what people think is the best over all value not a $25 or a $300 one either. Something that is going to get the job done right last and is still affordable.
The barley crusher and the crankandstien 2 series seem to be the best dollar value.

I love my Barley Crusher and it's lifetime warranty. It's ready to mill grain out of the box.

I really like my Barley Crusher. It has a nice sized hopper and is easy to connect to a power drill. The hand crank is designed to work with a power drill or the hand crank.

Very nice unit.

Back