added flavor hops too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnichols

Reaction score
I just brewed my third brew. A clone of a Hoegaarden White Ale. I had a brain cramp and added the flavor hops, coriander and orange peel during the 45 min boil instead of after. What will my outcome be? All flavor lost? Is there any way to add flavor later? Help.

it is probable that you increased your bittering (from the early hops) and lost the flavors... If you are concerned about the flavor then just toss some orange zest and corriander in with the fermentor. You can get both of those at a grocery store...

Also you should be able to taste it alittle and you should taste just a little of the zest and corriander (and hops)

it is probable that you increased your bittering (from the early hops) and lost the flavors... If you are concerned about the flavor then just toss some orange zest and corriander in with the fermentor. You can get both of those at a grocery store...

Also you should be able to taste it alittle and you should taste just a little of the zest and corriander (and hops)

Thanks for the help. How much zest and spice would you recommend?

In all seriousness, Belgian's are typically sweet beers, so it will probably just be a more balanced beer. If it's really bitter, then call it a Belgian IPA and brag to your friends about your new recipe!

Thanks for the help. How much zest and spice would you recommend?

I'd use maybe about 1/2 the original, if I could taste at all, or a bit more. Not more than was originally packaged... Your orange peel was probably about 1/2 an ounce, I don't know if you will need 1 or 2 oranges for that - 1/2 ounce that is. Don't include the peel - the white part is bitter If you don't have a zester, a grater - like a cheese grater - can be used.

If you don't have time tonight for all this, you can do it tomorrow.
The beer will keep.

In all seriousness, Belgian's are typically sweet beers, so it will probably just be a more balanced beer. If it's really bitter, then call it a Belgian IPA and brag to your friends about your new recipe!

Thanks! I don't feel so bad now.

I'd use maybe about 1/2 the original, if I could taste at all, or a bit more. Not more than was originally packaged... Your orange peel was probably about 1/2 an ounce, I don't know if you will need 1 or 2 oranges for that - 1/2 ounce that is. Don't include the peel - the white part is bitter If you don't have a zester, a grater - like a cheese grater - can be used.

If you don't have time tonight for all this, you can do it tomorrow.
The beer will keep.

Great. I just asked my wife for the zester. I will pick up some oranges tomorrow as my kids ate the last ones today.

Boil the zest for a few minutes to kill bacteria. Maybe 1/2c to 1c water. Just long enough to take care of infection. Optional spray with sanitizer but not sure that makes as much sense. Boiling will help draw out some oil boiling too long might break them down. Good luck let us know how it turns out

Back