Used liquor barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I can't wait to move so that I have the room to age in one of those... I already have a good barley wine recipe worked out, so that's not an issue... :D Just not going to do any long term aging where I live now, since I hope to be moving in under 6 months... But once I'm in the new place, I know who I'll be calling about getting at least one (maybe two) barrels for aging... :D

Shelly Belly- whats your technique for filling your barrel? Don't wanna derail this thread but do you have a link to something that might explain it?

Thanks!

Let us know when more of these come around, they look very nice.

I don't know if I'll be able to take advantage, but I'd also love to hear when you have more of these.

Shelly Belly- whats your technique for filling your barrel? Don't wanna derail this thread but do you have a link to something that might explain it?

Thanks!

The beer was lagering in a keg and had a little bit of CO2 in it so I just pushed it slowly using a piece of racking cane stuck in a picnic tap with a rubber stopper to create a little counter-pressure. In other words, I used the BierMuncher Bottle Filler...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

I'm hoping I can Barrel age and lager at the same time!

Sorry to keep cluttering up this thread, but I kegged my first beer off of the barrel, and I wanted to share my experiences. I figure more people are looking here than anywhere else.

I brewed a very cliche imperial stout to put into the barrel, after having tried a lot of wonderful, very sweet, foreign imperial stouts. OG of 1.097, FG came down to 1.023 with WLP007. Roasty, Chocolatey, smooth, and boozy when fresh. (Amazingly I got it to ferment out and clear in about 10 days.

Took the liquor barrel, which still had some residual booze i've been using to keep it swelled. Put a few gallons of water in and then dumped to clear the booze and sediment (if there was any). Beer goes in.

After 7 days, I pulled a sample to try and was surprised to find the liquor flavors were starting to overpower the beer, even as big as it was. By day 10, they were definitely overpowering, so I kegged the beer from the barrel, added a liter and a half of booze back into the barrel to keep it swelled and sterilized, and I'm going to let the stout sit for a while.

Moral of the story: those of you who are planning on months with lesser beers- taste your beer before letting it sit too long.

Although I suspect the more I use the barrel, the longer it'll take and the more oak flavors will come out instead of the liquor flavors.

Virant518, thanks for the information. I just put an Imperial Stout in my barrel yesterday, so I'll monitor it closely. Mine didn't get the OG quite as high, 1.087 for me, but did get down to 1.017, which gave me a good 9% beer. I'll let you guys know how it ages.

The only downside is I'll need a new beer to put in it really soon!

After 7 days, I pulled a sample to try and was surprised to find the liquor flavors were starting to overpower the beer, even as big as it was. By day 10, they were definitely overpowering, so I kegged the beer from the barrel, added a liter and a half of booze back into the barrel to keep it swelled and sterilized, and I'm going to let the stout sit for a while..

good thing you mentioned that. If rum is anything like whiskey, it's aged at 1.5-2x its bottled strength, so that would certainly explain why it becomes overpowering so quickly.

shelly_belly said:
The beer was lagering in a keg and had a little bit of CO2 in it so I just pushed it slowly using a piece of racking cane stuck in a picnic tap with a rubber stopper to create a little counter-pressure. In other words, I used the BierMuncher Bottle Filler...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

I'm hoping I can Barrel age and lager at the same time!

How did the lagering in the barrel turn out? I'm thinking about trying that out for my second beer in this guy.

Do you have anymore of these barrels available? I would like one please, shipped to 19968

I have a list going and will let you know when I get some more.

When am I going to get some sample fellas?

Cheers,
John

Let me know when you get another round too. I have a place to store one, finally, as well as use one. Planning a couple of bigger brews that would be good candidates to age in a barrel. One is a barley wine, the other an old ale. The BW could be close to 12% and the old ale around 10%. If I can't get a barrel in time I'll just have to use oak cubes. Although I'm probably looking at being ready in about three months. Should be enough time, right?

I'll send a sample once I've used the barrel for a batch... :D

Quick update on mine. I aged my imperial stout in the barrel from 4/6 until today, and its taken on a real smoothness, excellent mouthfeel, and a strong alcohol burn. I think I left it in too long, as the alcohol is just a bit too strong for me. I've racked that into a Carboy to let it mellow a bit.

In the meantime I've taken an Irish red lager (thanks for the idea!) that I fermented on an oktoberfest yeast cake, and I racked it into the barrel without rinsing the barrel. I'm hoping it takes on some of the same smooth and roasty notes without all the alcohol burn.

How did the lagering in the barrel turn out? I'm thinking about trying that out for my second beer in this guy.

I never did get to lagering temps as I had an Oktoberfest Lager fermenting at 48F. I racked the Irish Red Lager from the barrel last night. I was able to push the beer out using CO2. I was concerned that It might come out between the staves under pressure but the barrel held tight.

Before going into the barrel I felt that lagering the Irish Red had brought out too much of the roasted barley flavor. Post barrel, however, the roasted barley, oak and bourbon (I put 1 litre of bourbon in the barrel when I received it) have melded into a silky smooth blend of taste and mouthfeel. I put what I had pulled off into a soda bottle and did a quick force carb. This beer is just incredible.

All along I was thinking 'why did I throw my money on this barrel when I could have just bought some oak chips'. Well I've made 3 batches using chips and they in no way compare to what came out of the barrel. I guess that's what was meant about chips being one dimensional.

Shelly_belly - where did you get that rig that allows co2 in but sets the siphon on the bottom?

Also, what did you do with the dregs left in the barrel? I actually poured mine out of the barrel on it's side as I couldn't see a better way to get it out.

not sure if your still keeping a list of people interested in these but please let me know if they become available again.

Hey guys,

Got word from the stiller today, I will have 14 Barrels available in about 10 Days. I will send out email or Im to those who wanted one. They will be $110 for the 5 gallons + actual shipping charges which is typically $11-$18 depending on location.

I also have some other good news. There will be a few 10 gallon barrels available for $150 + shipping. These do not come around that often so if you are interested in one best to pick it up. If you are interested in the 10 gallon IM me.

All of the barrels held Rum.

Shelly_belly - where did you get that rig that allows co2 in but sets the siphon on the bottom?

Also, what did you do with the dregs left in the barrel? I actually poured mine out of the barrel on it's side as I couldn't see a better way to get it out.

Just a racking cane in a #7 stopper and an air horn stuck in an extra hole I drilled in the stopper. I didn't think I would have much in the way of dregs but it wouldn't matter anyway as I rack all of my beers to a keg with 1.5 inches cut off of the diptube. Here's a picture of the airhorn...

I am interested in a 5 gallong barrell. Let me know when you get them in

I sent out email to the firs 12 people on my list, once I hear back I will continue to the next in line. People don't always want them when the become available so I move to the next in line.

Back