Yeast starter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
Total newb question coming here.. I'm brewing my first beer, and I decided to do a one liter yeast starter using 2/3 cup of liquid amber malt extract and wyeast 1388. I made the starter about 24 hours ago and all activity seems to be over. No more foam on top and a nice yeast layer on the bottom. My question is, should I step it up to 2 liters before I brew, and if so, when I add more wort, do I shake the jug to reaerate? I'm doing a pretty high gravity abbey dubbel. Thanks in advance for any help!

Check out mrmalty.com. It all depends on the gravity of the beer your brewing. That site will give you a good starting point, and great instructions for yeast starters.

If you step it up, you should definitely re-aerate. In fact, you should be aerating as much as possible, ideally continuously via a stir bar and loose-fitting cover on the jug. Excess oxygen in a starter gets you more, healthier yeast.

I would just go as is, that type of yeast can be a quick starter, and if you just did the starter a couple of days ago from a large wyeast package you should be good to go. I should rip through most belgian worts in no time flat.

Total newb question coming here.. I'm brewing my first beer, and I decided to do a one liter yeast starter using 2/3 cup of liquid amber malt extract and wyeast 1388. I made the starter about 24 hours ago and all activity seems to be over. No more foam on top and a nice yeast layer on the bottom. My question is, should I step it up to 2 liters before I brew, and if so, when I add more wort, do I shake the jug to reaerate? I'm doing a pretty high gravity abbey dubbel. Thanks in advance for any help!
The starter will ferment quickly since there is not that many available sugars and nutrients for the amount of yeast you pitched, in that size starter mostly the yeast will just consume everything there without even growing much.

If you're brewing a high gravity dubbel, as others have suggested check a pitching calculator, but most likely you'll need a bigger starter. When you add the extra volume, shake and aerate the wort as much as you can. You should also shake and aerate the wort every chance you get, unlike a batch of beer, the more oxygen you supply to a starter/growing yeast the better it will be.

Back