Picked, dried and stored

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I picked my Cascades this weekend and spread them out in the garage to to dry. I used the patio table in the photo below and with the fan blowing over them the hops dried in about 24 hours. Though the dried bulk was about 3/4 bushel, I ended up with just short of two pounds. I decided to put four ounces in each food saver bag and put them in the freezer. If the harvest increases next year, and I assume it will, I'll be giving away my excess.

IMG_31291.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

Not bad! Are these first year plants? I have a second year cascade and nugget. The cascade didn't get more than a 1/2lb. this year. The Nugget probably got about 2lbs. My new Mt. Hood didn't get squat. Maybe has around 10 cones on it.

These are third-year plants. I had them growing up a vertical rope but the rope broke half-way though the season and I tied it horizontally. As a result, they didn't do as well as they should have but two pounds is enough to last me a year.

Getting to that third year is a B!tch ain't it?

I have pondered packageing mine in 2 Ounce bags but, whew! That takes some space. It just seems that when blending hops 4 ounces is too much and went doing single hop 4 ounces is too little.

It's a no win.

I struggled with the decision over weights as well but decided that 4 oz, while not being ideal, was better than doing a bunch of 2 oz bags.

I buy the rolls of bags and cut them way to big for the amount I want to package(usually a lb.) then cut it open, take out what I need, and re-seal. I work quickly and they're so packed from the vac. that O2 exposure is minimal. You can buy quality rolls of bag material from Ebay for very little.

Back