Introduction and Request for Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmallon

Reaction score
Hi there,
My name is Chris and I have been a reader and lurker on this forum for a while. Figured it was about time to introduce my self, and break my 0 post count. I am slowly moving from extract into all-grain brewing, and loving every second of it. Hopefully, this summer I will buy some kegging equipment and the fun will really begin. Thanks to all the knowledgeable individuals out there, this forum has been a wealth of great brewing information. I already feel so welcome, despite this being one my first posts.

I have to request some help though. This summer I am looking to apprentice with a local brewmaster. He has requested a brew day together, and I am a little nervous. This would be a chance to learn, for a whole summer, from a professional brewer. I would imagine any of us would be a little nervous to mess up in front of him. Is there any advice, reading material that you guys can suggest (besides reread the normal and staying calm)? Perhaps any articles or books focused upon professional brewing vs. home brewing? Any help, encouraging words would be great. Thanks a lot. And happy brewing.

Muck boots, the sign of a professional brewer. La Crosse are also acceptable.

Seriously, will you be brewing on your gear or his?

Great question. I will have to email him about that, because none of my equipment is at home. I would hope his equipment, because that would be a lot more impressive than my kit.

That's a cool invitation! I wouldn't worry too much about looking like a n00b. If you're in his brewery, then he's going to show you the ropes, the ins-and-outs, the what-have-you, of his particular equipment. It's kinda like showing off your baby! On the other hand, if you're using your own equipment, then you know your stuff better than him, so you'll be in a good starting position.

I have a friend who's a master brewer at a McMenamins here in Portland, and he's invited me to join him on a Sunday brew day. He told me he'd be putting me to work, so I suspect I'll be shoveling grain and hosing stuff down. It's a great opportunity to move your hobby to the next level. Ask tons of questions, and just observe!

I suggest you first drink about 4 pints with him, first thing, and the edge-y-ness will disappear.

After that, you will be much more attuned to what he says by knowing how he says things-wavelength tuning as it were.:)

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully everything goes well. I will keep you guys updated.

Back