Novice grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vp1839

Reaction score
My brother bought some cascade hops about 4 years ago. He moved to Arizona 2 winters ago and I inherited them. Last year I didn't do much. They are at my parents place and she tries to take care of them and it's hard for me to get over there all the time.

They are growing great but i need some advice on what to do.

1. I don't brew much anymore and don't need all these hops. There are two plants growing that I could get 2 five gallon buckets full of if I wanted to.

2. How long do you dry them out for? I have a food dehydrator that works great but I don't know how long to let it run for.

3. After this year they need to get trimmed back. How do I do that.

Any advice is great. I want them to be made into tasty beer but can't find anyone to do it.

Oh I live on the south side of Chicago if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Where on the south side? If you need help "getting rid" of a pound or two of cascade hops, I can help 😆. Two full 5 gallon buckets equates to nearly a pound of dried hops per bucket in my experience.

I built an oast that is on the forums here to dry hops. A dehydrator will also work. You can also use screen doors and window screens in conjunction with a box fan and a warm garage to accomplish the same in bulk. I built the oast because I like having the windows open in the fall. Without a dehydrator, it takes 3 days. I shoot for 75 to 85% reduction in weight. So if I start with 5 lbs of wet hops, I want to end around a pound of dry hops. I don't really measure the time as much as the before and after percentage.

When your manicuring the rhizomes, I have read to pull back the topsoil to expose the top runners in the spring. You can then determine which will be viable rhizomes by seeing any white knobs on them, which will sprout the bines. Then trim them. I have taken some rhizomes and have propigated them in small pots to give to friends amd family, and thats how i have worked it. Some people measure out a foot or two from the crown and cut in a circle around it, then pull up everything that was cut. I'm sure other will chime in here, as this is where I have the least experience, though all of my root cuttings are now viable field plants. I'll have to do the same this next year with my 3 third year plants and my 5th year Nugget.

Thanks for the advice. I live near orland park off of I-80

Back