Pale Ale, Taste GREAT, Aroma not so good.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrrrkva

Reaction score
I tried a Pale ale, and it taste GREAT, but it has a "skunky or Molson Smell"
How can I improve the aroma, or what did I do wrong.

American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 10/14/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal Brewer: Matt Kurz
Boil Size: 12.92 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
End of Boil Volume 10.92 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal Est Mash Efficiency 75.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 76.2 %
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 19.0 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.8 %
3.00 oz Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 39.1 IBUs
2.50 oz Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 25.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 6.5 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 11 -
20.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

-

Did you dry hop? Im doing a pale ale thats going to be dry hopped with 1.25 oz of Amarillos 9.3 AA. Just a suggestion

5 minute or flameout addition would do you just fine. Not going to get much aroma from that recipe as is, but I'm sure it tastes awesome!

Ah, wait a sec, just saw the flameout addition. I would try doubling it or dry hopping.

that's just the cascade man. I did an all cascade pale ale with a 2 oz flame out addition and I'd wished I'd doubled that. and for what it's worth, the AA on a flame out addition or dry hop addition is irrelevant since it doesn't contribute to the actual bitterness of the beer. also might wanna think about deleting your name in the OP

If the beer tastes great and smells bad, I would go the dry hopping route for sure - a least 2 oz. It will take your beer to the next level of deliciousness.

On the skunk, did it get exposed to light? That's normally how beer gets skunked. On the recipe, I'd start with a higher AA bittering hop and save those fragrant Cascades for late additions. I'm not sure what stage of the process you're in now, but dry hop would help with aroma.

Thanks guys. Great info. I didnt dry hop. Ill have to add more at flameout or dry hop next. And it was exposed.to light for an hour while bottling. Ill have to try the other 5 gallon batch that was in a bucket instead of the carboy.

Time has healed the skunk flavor... .I cant believe it..... Taste great..... smells ok.... But no skunk.... If I dry hopped or added more at flame out.... It would of been perfect

Back