Newbies kegging problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So after a long wait I have setup my kegging setup with the help of someone. I have a http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642-Battery.html and I've connected 5# co2 tank to it, setup the first keg. 2nd keg kept giving problems and it was finally connected without gas leak at a later time. I have had them both going since Saturday at 10psi each. The gauge that reads the volume of the co2 tank stayed constant for all the days. I have increased carbonation (when taking samples) in one keg (first one) but not the 2nd one (totally flat).

My first keg connection someone guided me thru, the 2nd one I did later on my own. I feel like I forgat some small step in the beginning of 2nd keg. I am under the assumption that if the co2 gauge has been constant since Saturday daytime that there is no leak, which I fixed on keg #2 (original problem). How come keg #1 has more carbonation than keg #2 which is only an hour or so apart.

Are there large differences in gravity? The heavier the beer the longer it'll take to carb. The differences aren't huge, but if there is a large change of fg's I could see there being a noticeable differences.

Ok, if you hooked the kegs up on pressure Saturday at 10 psi, you need to wait much longer. At serving prssure, 10 psi, it will take 7 - 14 days to fully carb the beer. If you are in hurry, research "force carbing" to cut the wait down a bit. Basicly you crank the pressure up to about 30 psi for a day or two. Be careful not to overdue it though. Oh, also to serve, cut the presure and vent the keg, or you'll get a pint in a hurry...likely foam.

Additionally, cold beer carbs faster, so if they were warm on saturday, that slowed the process as well.

One is a Belgian Wit and other is French Saison, both are not high gravity beers.

One already has visible and tastable carbonation while other is just flat. Both werre already cold when connected and the only thing I can think of right now is that FS I thought I had an infection and had to scoop it out and took out 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of beer because of it. So volume wise one keg is slightly bigger than the other.

Are you sure you are getting CO2 to keg #2? I force carb mine, and it usually takes a couple of days, and the I bleed the pressure off, and set it at what I need to serve.

If it is still flat, it sounds like you are not getting gas to it.....

Back