Suggestions for Brewing Software and smartphone Apps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photon0099

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Was looking to go digital with my recipe creation and storage. Any suggestions on the best software and smartphone apps for brewing and cataloging?

Thanks.
Philip

I use beersmith 2.1, which is both mac and PC. They also have cloud storage for your recipes so you won't ever lose them. Don't think they have an android app yet but they might in the future. As to android apps, I haven't found a single one yet that I like as much as beersmith.

aiptasia said:
I use beersmith 2.1, which is both mac and PC. They also have cloud storage for your recipes so you won't ever lose them. Don't think they have an android app yet but they might in the future. As to android apps, I haven't found a single one yet that I like as much as beersmith.

I'm currently running an iPhone 4s. Ill check app store for Beersmith. Thanks

I dont like that i have to pay for Beersmith and pay for extra cloud storage, 10 is just not enough. If you buy beersmith you should get the 200 recipe storage by default, IMO.

That said, go make a free Dropbox account, and set beersmith's documents directory(Under the file menu) to point to a folder on your Dropbox.

You get 2 Gigs free on dropbox, and can store all your equipment profiles, and probably thousands of recipes with that much storage.
Also useful tip, for those with newer Android phones, if you link your Dropbox to your phones Dropbox app they upgrade you to 50Gb for 2 years automatically. Found that out when i got my Galaxy S3.

Another nice benefit is you can then have multiple Beersmith instances pointing to that same Dropbox, i have my portable Laptop and Desktop sharing, that way any changes i make to recipes or my equipment/mash profiles etc get carried over no matter where i am or what PC i use.

Notepad app, Excel, and Dropbox.

I really don't understand why Beersmith would wanna charge money to store simple recipies.

The best smartphone app I've used is ibrewmaster. I've tested a few others on android and iPhone to include Brewpal and Brewzor. I don't use applications on my PC for brewing as its easier (for me) to have a mobile option. I like to build recipes and tweak stuff at work and in other places my laptop isn't available.

Back