Wyeast favorite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Im going to usa, since I cant fing wyeast here in mexico, Im buying segeral packs and bringing them home. What is your favorite american ale from wyeast?
1056?
1272?
1332?

Thanks

1056 is a great basic American Ale yeast. However, it is VERY similar to US-05. Since US-05 is cheap, I would get some 1272. 1272 is a great IPA yeast. Very clean. I have not used 1332. However, my question becomes how are you planning on bringing it back? It needs to stay refrigerated.

i would buy dry yeast in bulk, like 50-100 packs rather than a few packs of wyeast. safale US-05 is the same as 1056 and can be used to make many styles of beer. safale also has dry lager, belgian and wheat yeast. i shied away from dry yeast when i started brewing thinking it was inferior but it's what i use for most of my non sour beers. i even won second place in a beer competition using US-05. after the fermentation is complete and you've bottled you will have liquid yeast to reuse.

I use us-05 and get great results, but i hear everyone talking about wyeast!!! I also want to get irish, saison and trappist yeasts.
I'll bring then to mexico in a cooler with ice packs.

3724 and 3711 are a great combo to have for Saison, if you've got the extra cash 3725 is a nice addition too.

3787 is good for the trappist style beers.

I use us-05 and get great results, but i hear everyone talking about wyeast!!! I also want to get irish, saison and trappist yeasts.
I'll bring then to mexico in a cooler with ice packs.

I'll second the 3724 and 3711 for Saisons. I like 3787 or 1214 for Belgian styles.

Once you use then read up on yeast washing and you can get many brews out of those packs you bring back.

I just made a mild with 1332, and it couldn't be more English. That's right, English. Calling 1332 "Northwest ale yeast" is like calling Ringwood "New England ale yeast". Sure, a brewery in that region uses it, and you could use it in American ale recipes. But it is English in origin, leaves tart dried fruit esters, floccs like hell, and has low apparent attenuation. Since you already have access to 05, if you want something different for American ales, I'd go with 1272.

Back