A pet peeve!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You know what bugs me? When a sports fan refers to his favorite team as "We".

My brother-in-law is the worst. He's a huge Cowboys fan, and a MSU Spartans fan. Now, he IS an MSU alum, but still.

Here's a sample from Facebook, "Well, it's basketball season! Let's see how we do this season!" "Dallas won- we finally have a coach!" "We're going to be great this season!" "We need some fresh legs". "We're down right now, but we can come back!"

WE? How long have you been playing for the Cowboys and I flippin' missed it?

I didn't realize that my perception of you being a computer dork sitting in front of a computer 19 hours a day was so wrong! Here you are, commuting back and forth from Phoenix to Dallas daily as to play pro football, and I thought you were just a big dork loser all this time. I apologize.

Thanks- I feel better now!

You and Shecky should get a motel. He did a rant like this a couple years back...I don't know which sets him off more, the royal we in sports fandom or porch couches.

Hope your BIL don't follow HBT.

But as long as you feel better.

No, I'm sure right now he's in the showers as the game just ended and apparently "they" won. He has a heckuva commute back to Phoenix tonight, so he won't have time to do much more than Facebook, I'm sure. :D

Not to start a war, but as far as I'm concerned, there is a WE is sports.

As long as I'm paying money for tickets, jerseys, T-shirts, etc. I am vested in this team. Ask any player if the fans cheering make a difference in how they play, the answer is yes.

Not to start a war, but as far as I'm concerned, there is a WE is sports.

As long as I'm paying money for tickets, jerseys, T-shirts, etc. I am vested in this team. Ask any player if the fans cheering make a difference in how they play, the answer is yes.

So, if "your team" picks third in the draft, you incessantly talk about who "we're" going to draft?

I'm a fan of several teams, including the Red Wings. But I have yet to say, "We're going to work harder on defense" and "We're hurting right now on the second line". The closest I've come to that is hugging the Stanley Cup last year after one of my games.

I try to not use "we" when referring to my sports teams. I am a buffalo sabres and buffalo bills fans. THEY both won this weekend (holy crap), THEY did well. Maybe when the get better I will use "we".

The "we" for any team would refer to anyone who gets PAID by said team. Therefore, if you are the one PAYING, you are a "fan" and not entitled to use the term "we". The proper pronoun to use is "THEY", since "THEY" are the ones playing.

The "we" for any team would refer to anyone who gets PAID by said team. Therefore, if you are the one PAYING, you are a "fan" and not entitled to use the term "we". The proper pronoun to use is "THEY", since "THEY" are the ones playing.

I use They when they're losing and We, when we're winning ;)

Just kiddin... I agree with ya Yoop, maybe just not bothered by it quite so much.

Ed

I don't really follow any professional sports, but I do refer to my alma mater as "we" in reference to their sports teams. I'm probably more likely to say "we" when talking to other alum rather than people who didn't go there.

!

me too!!.

my wife plays that card, but its not worth the fight ;).... also, she is an alum, and its not a pro team.. so i guess its marginally less redonkulous.

still, like nails on a chalk board.

p.s. I like the "yoop," its hip.. and maybe a little rad.

p.s. I like the "yoop," its hip.. and maybe a little rad.

Well, it really wasn't intentional! I seemed to have lost my password, and when I reset, I couldn't use "YooperBrew" or "Yooper_Brew", since they were already in use (by me, I assume). Yooperbrewer and Yooper were also taken. So, I had to change my name because of this- but hey, if you say it's hip and rad, that describes me perfectly!

...but hey, if you say it's hip and rad, that describes me perfectly!

well Ive read a bunch of your posts.. so although Ive never met you, I feel safe and totally justified in saying that yes, indeed, you are hip and rad. :rockin:

well Ive read a bunch of your posts.. so although Ive never met you, I feel safe and totally justified in saying that yes, indeed, you are hip and rad. :rockin:

Well, then you ARE the one in a million.

I'm about as uncool a person as you'll ever meet. I mean, not pocket-protector nerdish, but definitely not one of the cool kids!

You know what bugs me? When a sports fan refers to his favorite team as "We".

My brother-in-law is the worst. He's a huge Cowboys fan, and a MSU Spartans fan. Now, he IS an MSU alum, but still.

Here's a sample from Facebook, "Well, it's basketball season! Let's see how we do this season!" "Dallas won- we finally have a coach!" "We're going to be great this season!" "We need some fresh legs". "We're down right now, but we can come back!"

I didn't realize that my perception of you being a computer dork sitting in front of a computer 19 hours a day was so wrong! Here you are, commuting back and forth from Phoenix to Dallas daily as to play pro football, and I thought you were just a big dork loser all this time. I apologize.

Thanks- I feel better now!

I love you. :mug:

Like Revvy said - get a room! :D

I'm just happy my Irish beat Utah yesterday, although I'm sad my Vikings lost to the Bears, and my Cardinals lost to the Seahawks. ;)

Eh, I have a thing for Shecky. So what? :D

At least you didn't say, "WE lost to the Bears today" because then I'd have to start a new rant.

Well, then you ARE the one in a million.

I'm about as uncool a person as you'll ever meet. I mean, not pocket-protector nerdish, but definitely not one of the cool kids!

Yeah, geekish in a grandma, hockey-playing, bird-shooting way.

To your original point, I don't have the same reaction - fans referring to 'their' team and 'we' doesn't bother me, it seems natural.

When you are on the team's payroll, then "we" is appropriate.

Don't give me any of that hooey about buying tickets and merchandise, yada, yada. I buy tickets to see my favorite bands. When I hear their songs, I don't say "we" kicked it on that one.

Don't give me any of that hooey about buying tickets and merchandise, yada, yada. I buy tickets to see my favorite bands. When I hear their songs, I don't say "we" kicked it on that one.

Preach, brother, preach! :rockin:

Unless it's "Bad Company"? :D

I don't think that's a good analogy. I enjoy music, bands and musicians - I even follow a couple of favorite musicians on facebook and am a 'fan', but I don't identify with them in the way I identify with the Chicago Fire or Arsenal. Those are 'my' teams. Mark Dvorak is not 'my' musician. Apples and oranges.

If you are at least 6'8'', then you can say "we" when you discuss the Celtics. If not, shaddup! :D

I take it back - after the Celts beat the Heat the other night, I referred to them on Facebook as "the" Celts, not "my" Celts, or "we" Celts. Maybe I've done been indoctrinated by Yoop and shecky...

I don't think that's a good analogy. I enjoy music, bands and musicians - I even follow a couple of favorite musicians on facebook and am a 'fan', but I don't identify with them in the way I identify with the Chicago Fire or Arsenal. Those are 'my' teams. Mark Dvorak is not 'my' musician. Apples and oranges.
I'll grant you there is a far greater attachment to a team, largely based on geography. I've been a rabid Red Sox fan my entire life, sometimes to the point where my wife thinks I've lost it.

I grew up in Boston, yet never once have I referred to the Red Sox as "we." I don't play for them. I don't work for them. I root for them. I have no control over what they do.

It gets nutty sometimes. Take AZ. Dude probably hasn't been within 1,000 miles of Boston in his life and still refers to the Celtics as "we." Please. :D

"We" just smacks of washed up wannabe. Of course, this is only my feeling on the subject.

Maybe that's why it irks me when he says it. He ran cross-county in high school but otherwise is the biggest non-athelete I've ever come across in my life. Never played a team sport, never thrown a baseball, never even played HORSE as far as I know.

So, there you sit in front of your computer, and talk about zone defense and how "we have a good team this year. We have the first round draft pick and we're going to pick a young receiver, blah blah blah". You don't even know how many guys play at a time, for crying out loud. Shuddup already.

It gets nutty sometimes. Take AZ. Dude probably hasn't been within 1,000 miles of Boston in his life and still refers to the Celtics as "we." Please. :D

I saw "us" play everytime "we" came out to play the Suns when I was a kid? Does that count for something?

Okay, how 'bout this shecky - my birth was timed around the Celtics. My folks were living in Hong Kong at the time, and the doctor asked when they would like for me to get born. And my dad made some comment about a specific time frame so he could be home in time to watch Cowens and the Celts. Shouldn't that entitle me to a little bit of "we"? :D

I suspect Yoop's peevish-ness with her BIL has roots other than just his sports cheering habits. We'd be pleased to engage in group therapy for you, Yoop, and maybe even stage an intervention. We're here for you.

;)

I suspect Yoop's peevish-ness with her BIL has roots other than just his sports cheering habits. We'd be pleased to engage in group therapy for you, Yoop, and maybe even stage an intervention. We're here for you.

;)

Hahahaha. Not really. That's about it. He's a pretty cool guy aside from the friggin "we" on Facebook.

Now my sister-in-law, we'll need to go to Group with that.

Okay, how 'bout this shecky - my birth was timed around the Celtics. My folks were living in Hong Kong at the time, and the doctor asked when they would like for me to get born. And my dad made some comment about a specific time frame so he could home in time to watch Havlicek and the Celts. Shouldn't that entitle me to a little bit of "we"? :D
No, no, no. I played CYO ball against one of Havlicek's kids. Still not "we." I practically lived at Fenway when I was a kid. Not "we." My parents got engaged at a Bruins game (yeah, my dad was quite the romantic). Still not "we."

No, no, no. I played CYO ball against one of Havlicek's kids. Still not "we." I practically lived at Fenway when I was a kid. Not "we." My parents got engaged at a Bruins game (yeah, my dad was quite the romantic). Still not "we."

I concede - you caught me before I changed Havlicek to Cowens, as I couldn't recall now if Hondo had retired before I was born. :eek:

I'll use "we" so get over it. A s far as I'm concerned, the term is used to indicate "us", as in the team I support and all it's fans on one side, and the rest of you losers on the other!

I think that people opposed to including themselves in the team concept are simply not willing to risk being embarrassed by the team they claim to support. Come on, I root for the Lions! Proud of it! We'll get 'em next week. Saying, "The Lions" will get 'em next week just makes it sound like I kinda like the team, but not too much.

Back