Yeast didn't start, Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobW44

Reaction score
I'm brewing a simple, extract-based ale and all seemed well. Yesterday morning(Saturday), after boil/cool-down, I pitched Cooper's dry yeast and let sit for 10 minute before stirring. Now, after more than 24 hours, I'm not seeing any activity. In reviewing my brewing steps, nothing seems out of the ordinary.I agitated wort prior to pitching as I always do. SG is currently 1.045.

So, what to do....

Should I just go buy a pack of new yeast? The brewing stores are closed today so is it ok for the wort to just sit until Monday eveining?

What was your starting gravity? Has it fermented at all?

If anything is afoot, you're kind of stuck anyway since the brewing store is closed, unless you have extra yeast on hand. I think that you should be okay, just check tomorrow.

You're probably OK - the activity will begin later today. Keep the lid on and if it doesn't bubble get more yeast on Monday. I've had this happen too.

Two rules to follow: 1. If you're using liquid yeast always make a starter. If it doesn't start, you don't brew. 2. Always keep a backup pack of dry yeast on hand. Use it in rotation so the back up pack stays fresh.

Starting Gravity is 1.045. No fermentation yet. I'll check this evening and if no activity, I'll repitch tomorrow. Thanks for the quick replies.

Assuming the wort was cool when you added the yeast, it'll be fine. I'd wait about 72 hours before I repitched the yeast. It sometimes takes that long to get started, but usually you see activity within 36 hours.

Back