Interesting hop addition??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just had a thought (first one all day) and it was about those yummy yummy hops. I do extract brewing with specialty grains and I was wondering what would happen if you added a hop addition while steeping the grains? The water would be 160 or so, I think it would extract the bitterness well. I would love to hear what the forum thinks of this idea. Have I gone mad or have I hit upon an idea that many many people before have hit upon and I just didn't know it?!?! :confused:

Cheers :mug:

John Palmer says to "take from the hops intended for finishing additions, whereas, Marc Sedam's article says "Replace the amount of late addition flavor and aroma hops with 1.5x the amount of mash hops", which is adding more hops. So which would you prefer?

I mash hopped doing the Janet's Brown Ale recipe from Tasty McDole. There is certainly a lot of hop character in that beer, but I'd need to do a side by side with a non mash hopped version to tell the difference.

A general assumption is that first wort hopping is similar in bitterness to a 20 minute hop addition. A good place to start is with that assumption and then figuring out how much you'd need to adjust the hop amount to get your desired bitterness level.

I did my first first wort hop last weekend. It will be some time before I know how it turns out.

I tried mash hopping several time before deciding that it was adding nothing to my beers. What the OP proposes is pretty much FWH. I did something similar with a kit I designed for Northern Brewer.

Thanks for all of the input guys. The thought just popped into my head when I should have been working so I thought I'd put it to the forum. Sounds like, as with everything here, there are many different opinions about the idea.

Back