Propane tank loses pressure when half empty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilGnome6

Reaction score
One of my propane tanks loses pressure when it's about half empty. The gas still flows but it's like having the valve almost closed. Any ideas?

Yes; you are probably tripping the OPD valve/flow restrictor thingy. Try closing the tank valve with the regulator valve open. Next, shut the regulator valve and open the tank valve slowly. The key word here is slowly. Opening the regulator valve too fast on high capacity burners can result in an abrupt high flow rate which can trip the safety valve. The lower capacity burners are less prone to this, but it can still happen if the regulator valve is open or opened before the tank valve.

Which burner do you have? I'm guessing it might be one of the hurricane or banjo types. Those burners have a high demand rate which can make them more prone to this syndrome. The trick is to open the regulator valve slowly so there is no sudden rush of gas.

Yes; you are probably tripping the OPD valve/flow restrictor thingy. Try closing the tank valve with the regulator valve open. Next, shut the regulator valve and open the tank valve slowly. The key word here is slowly. Opening the regulator valve too fast on high capacity burners can result in an abrupt high flow rate which can trip the safety valve. The lower capacity burners are less prone to this, but it can still happen if the regulator valve is open or opened before the tank valve.

Which burner do you have? I'm guessing it might be one of the hurricane or banjo types. Those burners have a high demand rate which can make them more prone to this syndrome. The trick is to open the regulator valve slowly so there is no sudden rush of gas.

But if it's only happening on one of his tanks, I'd say it's a faulty tank...

Ah, good tip. I will give that a shot.

Not sure which burner I have (got it used on CL) but it's not one of the high flow rate ones. This is happening whether I use it on my grill or my burner, though.

But if it's only happening on one of his tanks, I'd say it's a faulty tank...

I doubt it's a problem with the tank. That's quite rare. It may have something to do with the tank being half empty. Might be that the larger volume of vaporized gas (non-liquid portion) makes it more prone to tripping the safety valve if the control valve is opened quickly. I'm guessing on this, but it should be fairly easy to figure out.

Back