Quick question about northern brewer kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I just got the nut brown and the bourbon barrel porter AG kits. I haven't used theirs before. The mash schedule only says "mash at 153 for 60 minutes and 170 for 10 minutes"

On all of the other AG kits or recipes on here I have done I would mash in at say 153 F (going by their numbers) and then do a double batch sparge with 170 F water and let each sit for about 10-15 minutes. This has been working very good for me so far. Is that what I should do with these kits?

Your way should be fine, but you might want to up your sparge water temp. You want to raise the grain bed temperature to be near 170 at mash out, adding 170 won't raise the temp enough.

I would just do as you normally do. I think kits have instructions that will work but may not give optimal results. I think the double batch sparge would be better.

Thank you, I was afraid these were a more difficult kit than I am used too. I can't wait to try the bourbon barrel porter.

Thank you, I was afraid these were a more difficult kit than I am used too. I can't wait to try the bourbon barrel porter.

I have the bourbon barrel porter in secondary now and its EXCELLENT. Don't be afraid of the 16oz of Makers Mark that it calls for...it's not too much. Also, make sure you use quality bourbon - Jack Daniels isn't going to cut it.

Cheers :mug:

I have the bourbon barrel porter in secondary now and its EXCELLENT. Don't be afraid of the 16oz of Makers Mark that it calls for...it's not too much. Also, make sure you use quality bourbon - Jack Daniels isn't going to cut it.

Cheers :mug:

I don't know anything about bourbon so I was going to go with the makers mark like the kit suggests. It sounds really good.

I don't know anything about bourbon so I was going to go with the makers mark like the kit suggests. It sounds really good.

I can't wait to keg this stuff...I'm going to take it off the oak soon as I don't want to over-do it. I'll put it on tap in mid January.

Latest posts

Back