bars and dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydogbrews

Reaction score
it was brought up in another thread about dogs and bars. i'm just curious what peoples thoughts are on this. another poster mentioned that he didn't care for a place that allows dogs. no problem, it a personal opinion. i have two dogs. a big lazy one (named fry) and younger, small (50 lbs) jittery one named bender. both black and tan coonhound mutts.
while bender is nowhere near trained well enough yet to go to a bar, Fry goes to many.
i personally enjoy bars that have well trained dogs and when i go into a bar that has a dog in it, i immediatly smile and am happy to be there and will probably settle in for a longer stay if dogs are around; just feels more like home. but i'm a dog guy.
in the circle i run in, great craft beer and great dogs seem to go hand in hand.
what do you folks think?

So a dog walks into a bar... wheres the punchline? :D

Taking a dog to a bar? I don't know... sounds like a potential recipe for disaster.

3282010.jpg

My Lab goes wherever he's allowed to go. A few weeks ago, we hit Put in bay, Ohio and did a bar crawl. He was allowed in every single bar. Very dog friendly island. He picked up every chick on the island in those bars.

I agree well trained dogs are welcome in my book. If not in the bar (for food service reasons), at least out on the patio/deck.

I do the same as smalliewader, And tend to freuquent the more dog friendly places more than I would the opposite. A lot of breweries here in CO. do not serve food at these establishments. I am fine with bringing a dog to a place that doesn't serve food. I really don't see a problem with it. If it is a dining establishment, we simply sit on the patio (weather permitting with our two boxers). As long as the dog(s) are socialized and obey voice/hand commands it's okay and don't really see the problem.

Ales definitely taste better with a dog hair in them, not sure about lagers though.

As a long-term dog owner: NO. Other than service dogs, I do not want to see them in bars or restaurants.

As a long-term dog owner: NO. Other than service dogs, I do not want to see them in bars or restaurants.

QFT

I frequent a bar that has "dog nights". I do not mind events like those but outside of events, I perfer smoke, children and animal free enviorments.

i agree with smoke, it smells bad. i agree with kids, they cry, whine, etc...
but what do well behaved dogs do? not some yappy thing, or a big guy trying to tug his owners around, but a decent, good dog? i guess you could step on the dog or something, but that would be the owners fault

i have far more problems with morons that are drunk at the bar than some dog hanging out by his family. plus, the dogs cleaner than half of the people there!

I am FAR more likely to stay at a bar if it allows dogs - even when I don't have my two. Places that allow dogs are far more laid back and the people who frequent them are more likely to be people I want to be around.

It always floors me when people get upset about it. Now, if the dogs in question are acting unruly, I get that. But dogs just chillin' while their owners are chillin'... Ain't nothing bad in that world!

screw that. i'm pretty allergic to dogs.

you can bring your dog if I can sneeze all night in your beer.

also you'll have to wash my clothes and jacket, preferably before I get home and get dog hair all over my house.

I am FAR more likely to stay at a bar if it allows dogs - even when I don't have my two. Places that allow dogs are far more laid back and the people who frequent them are more likely to be people I want to be around.

Hit the nail right on the head. My two dogs (one is 15 with cataracts so he can't see and the younger one is waaay aggressive to anyone/thing outside of family) would not be fit for going to a bar. But I've been at a bar here in Manhattan that had their own dog, and he was awesome. Just totally hanging out with the patrons and everyone loved him.

Motobrewer has an excellent point though that we are all forgetting - allergies! Some people are violently allergic to dogs. I am not. But, I now have seasonal allergies and cat allergies since I hit 25 years old - 37 now. I grew up with a couple of cats in the house all my life with no problems until 3 years past moving out.

Allergies suck worse than the common cold. So from that point of view I can completely understand. Of course, the other aspect is if you don't like it you don't have to frequent said establishment.

Rev.

an allergy. that's a very valid reason. i wish i could use that reason to ban all the perfume and cologne that are at bars too though.

i know people are allergic like that to cats, but i have never heard of that sensitive of an allergy to dogs. just being in a room 30 feet from a dog will set you off? that sucks.

I guess I'd be torn on this. The idea of the kind of place that has the lazy dog that just hangs out is comforting. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of going to a pub for dinner and having dogs about. I guess if it's a Pub dog just lounging, that's great. But for patrons to bring their own dogs, I guess that would bother me. Make as much sense of it as you will.

Hit the nail right on the head. My two dogs (one is 15 with cataracts so he can't see and the younger one is waaay aggressive to anyone/thing outside of family) would not be fit for going to a bar. But I've been at a bar here in Manhattan that had their own dog, and he was awesome. Just totally hanging out with the patrons and everyone loved him.

Motobrewer has an excellent point though that we are all forgetting - allergies! Some people are violently allergic to dogs. I am not. But, I now have seasonal allergies and cat allergies since I hit 25 years old - 37 now. I grew up with a couple of cats in the house all my life with no problems until 3 years past moving out.

Allergies suck worse than the common cold. So from that point of view I can completely understand. Of course, the other aspect is if you don't like it you don't have to frequent said establishment.

Rev.

i'm not suggesting they make it illegal. i'm all for letting an owner decided what to do with his bar. if he wants dogs, go for it.

Problem is, you can't have your cake and eat it too. So I'd say no to dogs in a bar. If a bar says they allow dogs they'll have to allow all dogs or none at all. That would be like a restaurant saying kids are allowed but if they start crying they'll have to leave.

It always floors me when people get upset about it. Now, if the dogs in question are acting unruly, I get that. But dogs just chillin' while their owners are chillin'... Ain't nothing bad in that world!

stp said:
Problem is, you can't have your cake and eat it too. So I'd say no to dogs in a bar. If a bar says they allow dogs they'll have to allow all dogs or none at all. That would be like a restaurant saying kids are allowed but if they start crying they'll have to leave.

Not exactly. Dogs aren't like people. They don't have rights. You CAN discriminate based on dog size, breed, behavior, or color. You can say "well socialized dogs only" and the owner's determination on what "well socialized" means is perfectly acceptable.

I find (as somebody who is ridiculously involved in the "dog community") that the vast majority of people who would bring their dogs to a bar, are very conscious of their dog and very responsible about whether or not to bring their dogs along. For the most part, it is a community very focused on self regulation and responsibility.

I always thought that my neighborhood could use a pub that men who need a break from the SWMBO could "take the dog for a walk" and have pint.

Brooklyn's really the only place I ever much saw dogs in bars. I'm good with it if there's no cooking going on, though I can certainly also see the many potential problems it'd raise.

If there were two bars in town, and one allowed dogs and the other didn't, I'd rather hang out with the people (and dogs) in the dog-friendly bar. I don't even have a dog. The uptight people can hang out in the other bar.

I would have to believe that having a dog in a bar would be a huge health code violation, especially if the bar serves food. And seriously, when was the last time you were in a bar that didn't at least serve pizza?

Bernie Brewer said:
I would have to believe that having a dog in a bar would be a huge health code violation, especially if the bar serves food. And seriously, when was the last time you were in a bar that didn't at least serve pizza?

No health code violation as long as the animals are not in the preparation area.

Not exactly. Dogs aren't like people. They don't have rights. You CAN discriminate based on dog size, breed, behavior, or color. You can say "well socialized dogs only" and the owner's determination on what "well socialized" means is perfectly acceptable.

Well, I learned something new! I would think that if an owner did discriminate against some dogs though, there might be some pretty upset dog owners regardless if it's okay or not.
But either way. I still don't want a dog in my bar. Or kids for that matter. :cross:

I am a dog person and have a 12 yr old dalmation mix but one of the things that I can't stand is people who think they need to take their pets everywhere they go. Just the other day I was eating at a chinese restarunt and a couple walked in who got out of their car that had two large dogs in it and they left the car running with the windows up so I'll assume the A/C was on. So they could go in and eat? Leave the damn dogs at home!

I love dogs but 98% of dog owners feel their dog is well trained and I doubt half are correct.

A dog section on the patio is cool but I don't want to feel bad when I step on your mutt's tail when its crowded.

Also, even well trained dogs snap at each other at times.

Or, dog bites patron, patron would more likely sue the bar as it is insured

It's actually illegal here to allow dogs in pubs. Against food and safety code I believe. I've brought my sisters dog to the pub a few times and sat on the patio, as have others. I like it and it's a good way of socializing your pet.

I love dogs but 98% of dog owners feel their dog is well trained and I doubt half are correct.

A dog section on the patio is cool but I don't want to feel bad when I step on your mutt's tail when its crowded.

Also, even well trained dogs snap at each other at times.

Or, dog bites patron, patron would more likely sue the bar as it is insured

Very good points all. Bringing a dog to a crowded bar could lead to undue anxiety for the dog, thus leading to a bite, and also thus leading to a lawsuit. Not to mention some drunk might decide to use your dog as his own personal stress relief, and kick the **** out of it, because, "hell, it is just a damned dog"......

Also, my dog is as gentle as they come (purebred Golden Retriever), but she has VERY little tolerance for non-neutered males after one too many advances from my friend's overly amorous Shepherd......

Bernie Brewer said:
Not to mention some drunk might decide to use your dog as his own personal stress relief, and kick the **** out of it, because, "hell, it is just a damned dog"......

The day some drunk does that to my dog is the day he finds out what the inside of an emergency room looks like with a busted skull. Defense of personal property is 100% justified in Florida and I would take full liberties with the term "defense."

The day some drunk does that to my dog is the day he finds out what the inside of an emergency room looks like with a busted skull. Defense of personal property is 100% justified in Florida and I would take full liberties with the term "defense."

That is easy to say, and you may well do it. But that would do nothing to bring your dog back. Perhaps it is best just to leave your dog at home.

I was the person who started this, and will certainly reiterate it.

I rescued my dog at work. I lied to my boss when he ordered me to bring him to the shelter. I left my area of work to drop him off at my friends house (waking him up at 3am), so I could pick him up after work. I fought with my wife when she suggested that my newborn daughter was allergic to him and he had to go... I love my dog and animals in general.

But I never want to see a strange dog in a bar, and will probably walk out if I have the choice of another bar nearby. Due to my employment I've dealt with animals doing some crazy stuff, and don't believe that dogs should be welcome inside of public places without good reason, especially bars (no need to describe the typical bar environment on a beer forum...)

I was extremely turned off when I entered the bar in question and saw a dog in there. It seemed well enough behaved, but one accidental bump into its owner...

Why can't a restaurant ask patrons to leave if their child is being unruly? A private business can say that the unruly child is creating an atmosphere that stops other patrons from coming in and enjoying themselves and they will lose business because of it. See this MSNBC link here.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39075...rents-no-screaming-kids-allowed/#.TnqAVqjwlU0

I lived in England for a few years for a work assignment and it was fairly common to see dogs in pubs particularly out in the country. You went for a walk or a hike with your dog, stopped for a pint and went about your day. It was never an issue and it was part of having a local pub that was meant for families socializing rather than people trying to get falling down drunk. Looking back, I miss it. Long Island is is one of the more dog-unfriendly places you will find.

There's a reason dog's are known as man's best friend. If they are well behaved I can't see why they wouldn't be allowed in a bar. I've never seen one that wasn't sitting quietly or sleeping. People usually know if their dogs are capable behaving.

If the bar is more of a restaurant I can see where it's a problem - not so much for the food cleanliness issue, but just that serving food and navigating dogs can be a problem. I've been in places that actually had a dog curfew during peak mealtimes.

My Lab goes wherever he's allowed to go. A few weeks ago, we hit Put in bay, Ohio and did a bar crawl. He was allowed in every single bar. Very dog friendly island. He picked up every chick on the island in those bars.

I agree well trained dogs are welcome in my book. If not in the bar (for food service reasons), at least out on the patio/deck.[/quote]

That is one handsome dog you've got.

Here's my baby boy, he's a red setter. He's really laid back and loves everyone. He is also a chick magnet, he's got that setter strut.

[IMG]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v619/243/36/544914456/n544914456_1085742_720.jpg

a544914456_1085747_3399.jpg

If you have a great dog, please bring him or her everywhere. I love dogs. I agree with no dogs in the restaurant, but patios are fine.

That is one handsome dog you've got.

Here's my baby boy, he's a red setter. He's really laid back and loves everyone. He is also a chick magnet, he's got that setter strut.

n544914456_1085742_720.jpg

a544914456_1085747_3399.jpg

If you have a great dog, please bring him or her everywhere. I love dogs. I agree with no dogs in the restaurant, but patios are fine.

Beautiful dog, he actually looks a lot like one of my golden retrievers.

first, the idea that a dog is some sort of ticking time bomb and you bump into his owner and he's gonna go apesh*t on you is ridiculous. as someone pointed out, most people who take dogs everywhere (mostly medium to large sized dogs) are acutely aware of how the pooch reacts in almost any given environment. as i said, one of mine is very laid back and comes with me everywhere (including work) so when i stop for errands on the way home, he is there. he is allowed places that other dogs are not allowed (hardware store, the market, lots of places)
what i have found is if you just walk into almost any place with a well trained animal, no one will bug you. our other dog is more high strung and he doesn't get to come as many places with us because he is not appropriate.
i like most dogs far far more than most strangers.
i pretty much have my answer i was looking for when i started this thread though.

about half of you like dogs and want them around
others seem to like dogs, but don't want them around.

on vacation in st george island, fl a few weeks ago, a local bar had a menu item named after a local dog because it was what the dog ate when he came in, which was frequently. it was two hot dogs cut up and covered in shredded cheese. i wouldn't feed that to my pooches, but he was an old old bloodhound and deserved the treat. he came in once when we were there and everyone in the bar was happy to see him.
**related point, that island is extremely dog friendly, if anyone is looking to take a vacation to a non touristy beach and take their pooches with them everywhere, go there. some of you would hate it.***

Back