First time brewing, need feedback on schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Staypuft

Reaction score
I used the Brewer's Best German Oktoberfest recipe. Fermented it for a week at 58-60 degrees in the wrong fermentor. I realized the mistake and siphoned it into the correct fermentor. I did not transfer any of the sediment at the bottom of the first fermentor which I'm guessing contained the majority of the yeast since it's bottom fermenting. Since then it's been sitting in the same 58-60 degree conditions for two weeks.

I know I'm off schedule, and I know that the temps are not correct for a lager (the basement is the temp it is). So I need input as to when you all think it will be ready to keg.

Also, when I transferred fermentors, I noticed it was pretty cloudy. Does it matter? Is there a filtering process that I could use to clear it up a bit?

The kit I bought comes with two five gallon plastic containers. One has a spout at the bottom and the other does not. I put it in the one with the spout first which was a mistake because the sludge that formed at the bottom would have clogged the spout when it came time to bottle or keg. I probably could have waited longer to transfer containers, but I wanted to be sure to let the wort have enough time to settle.

You will be fine. Take a gravity reading to see if it has fermented out. If your gravity is too high you might try adding more yeast.

Back