Can a bottling bucket by used as a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ruuning out of vessels to finish my brewing in and I have 2 extra 6 gallon bottling buckets with lids. Can these be used effectively as primaries for a 3-4 week fermentation cycle? Just not sure about air movement through the tapper.

I don't see why not. But what are you going to use for bottling in the mean time?

Perhaps rack one of your other beers to the bottling bucket as a "secondary" to free up a primary, wait a few weeks then just bottle out of the bucket?

No reason to worry. As long as the spigot is closed there won't be any air flow.

Just be careful you have a liquid tight seal on the spigot and sanitize the crap out of it.

We are moving in 5 weeks so my brewing and bottling will have to be done within the next 4 weeks, otherwise I would just wait. Our first baby is expected to arrive in just under 8 weeks so I think this might be the best weekend for brewing for the next several months.

Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't want to bottle directly from it. I'd think you run the risk of getting some pretty yeasty bottles, especially if a ton drops out of suspension from the batch. I dunno though, since I've never tried it.

I would make sure to sanitize the bejeebus out of the spigot as that is going to be a place for nasties to hide in. And I would also leak test it beforehand. There are a few posts on here where others have used bottling buckets and due to leakages or accidental valve opening lost a batch of beer on the floor.

I don't know if I'd trust that spigot with 5gals of my beer for 3-4 weeks. Just my $.02.

I've only ever used buckets with spigots. And I also have pretty clear beer so long as I've been careful not to drain the trub. I put the bucket in a larger slop bucket I get pretty cheap in case of a leak. I also sanitize the spigot before racking or bottling. Never had any problems.

Back