containers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturnus

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting some 6g Better Bottles on Monday to start with what I hope is another fun hobby. I'm also trying to find out what else I can use for fermentation vessels in a smaller size. I know I can get 3g carboys, but I was looking at going cheaper. I'm going to end up with quite a few 1g glass jugs from buying apple juice, but they are not going to be big enough. From what I gathered I need to look for #2 type food grade plastics. Would that be the main thing to look for?

#1 and #2 plastics are fine for brewing. Buckets w/ lids can be found at most hardware stores for cheap. There are some arguments about orange colored homer buckets. Do a search and you can decide for yourself about the coloring.

If the #2 you are speaking of is referring to the NSF2 standard then yes. The #'s 1 and 2 in the triangle on the bottom of a container are not an indication of food safe, they are a recycling symbol. Obviously any container that has already had food in it is safe, hopefully you can get any smells and flavors out if you choose to reuse something.

Ahh cool.. I did some reading about the buckets last night. I just need to see if I can find what i'm looking for then. I was thinking I could use the plastic water bottles like from wally world, but do seem to recall they have a tad bit of plastic smell to em.

If you are getting some 6 gallon BB's, why don't you get 1 or 2 three gallon ones as well. They are really cool. I haven't had too good of luck with 3 gallon water jugs. Don't know why, but they seemed to only get me a couple fermentations before breaking and leaking.

I really like the square profile of the better bottle, it's easy to handle, and takes up less space than the water jugs.

krausen5.jpg

I was really hoping to find something this weekend. I don't think the local shop here has the 3g in stock. But I guess what's another week..

I guess the better question to ask is, would there be any problems using a 6 gallon carboy when only using it to ferment 2-3 gallons?

Back