Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bside27

Reaction score
I am a relatively new brewer and have a question about the oatmeal stout I just brewed this weekend. I pitched my yeast added it to my primary and within 10 hours my airlock was bouncing around like crazy. This bouncing lasted about 12 hours and has stopped completely. Is this a potential problem?

Sounds normal. What was the wort temp when you pitched and what was the temp for the few hours after? You may have been warm which can cause things to go faster.

But anyone will tell you that airlock activity is of minimal importance. You are likely fine. Leave it a few weeks and test gravity.

No,unless the temp was too high. It just signifies that initial fermentation is over. It'll now slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG.

Thanks, just getting to eager. My wort was about 73 degrees when I pitched my yeast. My temps are now holding steady at 70 degrees.

Back