Saison How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice label, you did what I did adding to beersmith and transposed the 'I & Am' .

Starter is ready to rock but realized I have Belgian pale on hand instead of pils. Should I wait or will the difference be tolerable?

starman said:
Nice label, you did what I did adding to beersmith and transposed the 'I & Am' .

Starter is ready to rock but realized I have Belgian pale on hand instead of pils. Should I wait or will the difference be tolerable?

Yea I figured as the recipe was slightly off the name should be as well. And for me, I'd wait for at least some pilsner...

Wow...just pulled out a hydro sample after 2 weeks of fermentation. Already down to 1.004. This yeast is really a monster.

The taste...oh the delicious taste. The best hydro sample I've tasted yet and I can not wait until this beer is kegged and ready to go.

Do you all really let this sit for 5 weeks or would I be okay to pull it off a week early or so?

Awesome story! I wanted to try a Rye recipe, not sure if I can get a hold of the yeast though. As for getting an accurate replication I might have to forgo the flame-throwing burner and pants defecation, but hopefully I'll still get beer in the end.

I've been meaning to brew this beer for quite some time now but have been delayed a little by my first born. However, this is the first one on the docket and I'm wondering if Bose who have. Ads it can tell me if it similar to Goose Island's Pepe Nero? I had one the other night and really really like it

coypoo said:
I've been meaning to brew this beer for quite some time now but have been delayed a little by my first born. However, this is the first one on the docket and I'm wondering if Bose who have. Ads it can tell me if it similar to Goose Island's Pepe Nero? I had one the other night and really really like it

Not similar to peep Negro at all, besides the fact that they are both Belgian style ales. At least that's my experience. I found the pepper corns to be quite intense in peep Negro.

I must have had a weird bottle bc me and the wife couldn't pick up any peppery-ness in the beer. I thought they might be similar as they are both dark rye saisons

coypoo said:
I must have had a weird bottle bc me and the wife couldn't pick up any peppery-ness in the beer. I thought they might be similar as they are both dark rye saisons

I could be remembering it wrong too.

Regardless, if you like pepe, you'll like this one too. :)

Had this on tap for about a week now. This is so hard not to constantly drink! The rye is not sharp at all in mine but it's there. The esters put out from the yeast are perfect. My srm was way off I guess I used the wrong sugar but hey it tastes great!

Submitted this to the Sunshine State Challenge (Florida), got to the 2nd round with a 42...yet didn't medal! There must've been some sick beers in that category!

Great to hear. Sampled one of mine, a bit fizzy but delicious. I think it will be great in about 2 weeks.

Hey all, we did a "sister" recipe to this one that turned out awesome as well. Don't know if it would win BoS or anything but if anyone is interested...

Wheat Saison fermented with apple cider...changed the rye to wheat and added 1 gallon (per 1/2bbl) of apple cider. Gives it a very subtle cider flavor / finish. If we did it again, we would probably try two gallons of cider per 1/2bbl for a little more of a pronounced cidery tartness.

usurpers26 said:
Hey all, we did a "sister" recipe to this one that turned out awesome as well. Don't know if it would win BoS or anything but if anyone is interested...

Wheat Saison fermented with apple cider...changed the rye to wheat and added 1 gallon (per 1/2bbl) of apple cider. Gives it a very subtle cider flavor / finish. If we did it again, we would probably try two gallons of cider per 1/2bbl for a little more of a pronounced cidery tartness.

and by "sister," do you mean a completely different recipe with the same yeast? ;)

Sounds interesting.

Brewed this today; super stoked. Been trying to brew this one for about 6 months now and I can wait to try it

Did anyone do shorter than 5 weeks? I think I'll only have like 3 weeks before I bottle
I think I had it in primary about 4 weeks before bottling. I think it would be fine after 3 to bottle. 3711 is a quite the workhorse, and should get your down to your FG after less than a week, leaving a couple weeks of clean-up time, plus bottle aging.

Just checked the gravity 2 weeks after brewing: 1060 down to 1004! Holy attenuation Batman, 3711 is a BEAST! Hopefully it will taste fine when it is chilled and bottled, but the sample was OK, but 93% attenuation is probably too much?

Edit: after looking at the OP, 93% is right on. Can't wait to drink it

I found (in my experience) that this beer has a sweet spot of about 7 to 9 weeks. It was just perfect right there.....Not that it wasn't good a little after that (it honestly didn't last much longer than that) but there was something that really shined for me there. So I would recommend following the 5 week primary and 1 week keg/carbonate or 2 weeks bottle conditioning if needed.

Bottled today. I did notice a fair amount of bubblegum esters in the sample. I fermented it at 70 for about 8 days then let it rise to about 76 for the remainder. In hindsight I should have kept it at 70-71, but hopefully when it carbs it will go down a bit. I'm surprised 3711 produced these favors at that temp as I have heard people taking it up to the 80's

The main reason we went with 3711 is because you don't have to get outrageously warm with the ferm temps. Wyeast lists that range at 65-77 but I can't say that I remember any bubblegum esters. But it has been a while since we originally brewed this...think we might have to put version 2 on the brew calendar for this spring!!

Bottled today. I did notice a fair amount of bubblegum esters in the sample. I fermented it at 70 for about 8 days then let it rise to about 76 for the remainder. In hindsight I should have kept it at 70-71, but hopefully when it carbs it will go down a bit. I'm surprised 3711 produced these favors at that temp as I have heard people taking it up to the 80's

That is what I thought too. I didn't think anything under 75 would produce those kinds of favors. Hopefully it was just the sample and when they're carbonated everything will be hunky-dory

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this recipe about 3 weeks ago. My OG was 1.081 which is the biggest beer I've made so far.

Going to transfer to secondary next week and plan to let it sit for at least a month...although I'm thinking this may need 2 months conditioning.

Cannot WAIT to try this, as my first attempt at a regular Saison came out perfect. Thx for posting!

Unibrow said:
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this recipe about 3 weeks ago. My OG was 1.081 which is the biggest beer I've made so far.

Going to transfer to secondary next week and plan to let it sit for at least a month...although I'm thinking this may need 2 months conditioning.

Cannot WAIT to try this, as my first attempt at a regular Saison came out perfect. Thx for posting!

What was the FG?

What was the FG?

Have not checked gravity yet. Planned to check gravity when I transfer to secondary next week - after 4 weeks in primary.

I will post the SG I've got when I transfer. Hoping it's at least below 1.015 cause of my 565 starter and fermenting in high 70s/low 80s for first week. Either way, this will have to sit in 2ndary for at least a month.

Ok, so I racked to 2ndary today after about 4 weeks. My SG was 1.010!!!! :mug:

With my OG at 1.081....This puts me at 9.3% or thereabouts. I will let it sit in the 2ndary for 3-4 weeks and bottle from there. The sample tasted amazing but I know it will benefit for some bulk conditioning in the carboy.

CANNOT WAIT for this to be ready! My first saison attempt (without Rye) came out almost 100% perfect so this should be 110% better.

Brewed this again last weekend - 10g batch with a buddy. 25% rye (4lbs malted/1lb flaked) with 2 lbs flaked oats. Ended up with a SG in the 1.070ish range. Maxed out my MLT with a 24.4lb grain bill and a thin mash. Can't wait to taste the results!

Brewed this on President's Day...underestimated both my efficiency and boil vigor, and ended up with 1.062. Pitched cold-crashed slurry from my 2.5L of 3711 starter at about 63F. Set it in the basement and let it go without any temp control. It's been humming along at about 67F ever since, and still going strong. I may bring it upstairs today sometime to see if it'll ramp up to 70.

I also subbed 2-row for the pilsener, so we'll see how it turns out....I just needed to use some of it up. Some people might be able to tell, but probably not me. I'm not a Saison aficionado, but I do like them. This is the first one I've made. I'm really looking forward to the finished product, based on all the responses to this recipe! Also, I subbed Willamette since I had a lot of it. Did 1oz at 60, 15 and 0 since I wanted more hopishness. But I did use rye malt (26%) and belgian d2 candi syrup (1/2#), so at least I was in the spirit of the original recipe! :)

Mine has really improved over the past 2 weeks in the bottle. Tastes really good, but everyone should let it age a bit before making any assumptions.

So I bottled this a week ago. OG was 1.081 and my FG was 1.007 giving me an ABV of 9.7% - I had in the primary for 4 weeks and secondary for 2 weeks.

Easily the biggest beer I ever made, and the sample from the bottling bucket got me a little tipsy. It tasted amazing, can't wait for this to carb up in a few weeks.

GREAT recipe.

I think 3711 is my new favorite strain. I brewed a batch of this 2 wks ago scaled to my system for 10gal. I substituted Styrian Bobek for Styrian Goldings, and D-90 syrup for the dark candi based on the LHBS stock. Only other modifications were to use 1/2 rye malt and 1/2 flaked rye (kept total at 25%), and to add a little Saaz at 5 min. OG was 1.057 and it's at 1.004 today. It smells heavenly and tastes great too. I think it's a little lighter in color than the original recipe, maybe about 14-15 SRM.

It's going to be hard waiting on this one. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.
:mug:

Mine started at 1.062 and has been in primary at 71* for 4 weeks. I started it cold crashing yesterday and checked the final gravity and it was at 1.000.

Just tried my first bottle....ohhhh man this is good. It's only been 2 weeks in the bottle and I thought what the heck. I intended to wait for 3 weeks but I got impatient. Wow this is so tasty. Aside from waiting for it to finish carbing, I'd be happy to just start indulging right now. Nice and fruity, terrific mouthfeel and body...so good. I maybe need to ferment a bit warmer next time (fermented at 67F this time) for more esters and more fruity but I am very, very happy with it.

My batch went from 1.062 to 1.004, so about 7.6%. Brewed it on 2/19, so not a bad turnaround time. I'll wait until next week to try another bottle, but I'll definitely be brewing this again. Glad I saved the yeast from this batch.

Thanks usurpers26 for the recipe! Mine's not exactly the same but pretty close even considering the substitutions.

I'm thinking about brewing this one soon, some questions first...

1. Would upping the rye malt percentage to 30 be doable? I have only gone upwards of 15% grist with rye malt.

2. Dry hop this beer or no? If yes...with what hops?

I think I sampled mine too much. While checking the carbonation again yesterday I emptied the keg:( I am going to make another batch this weekend but will do a 10 gallon batch this time. It is so good:mug:

Barry

Been about 1 month in the bottle, after I overshot my OG by a lot and ended up with a 9.8% ABV version of this rye saison - and WOW, the hot alcohol flavor has faded and left me with an amazing saison...can't drink more than 2 on any given day though or I'm completely fit shaced

KznQH.gif

Glad all of you are still enjoying it :)

We have a 1bbl batch of this coming up soon on our brew calendar, right after our Imperial Oktoberfest is done :mug:

Back