How long does krauzen usually take to fall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just had the same occurrence in my first batch. kaussen fell and air lock stopped bubbling. Still smells great, so i'm not too worried.

krausen can fall anywhere between 24 hours to never. The only way to tell if fermentation is done is to take a hydrometer reading. Nonetheless, I've had fermentations done in 24 hours, but I left it in primary a week anyways.

I don't think there is any set amount of time. It all depends on how the fermentation is going. That depends on how much yeast you pitched, what type of yeast you pitched, how healthy it was, the temperature and your OG.

You could start dialing it in for your process. Say you typically brew beer around 1.045-1.050 (like a lot of us do). If you know you always ferment in a temperature controlled cooler at 65, and you always pitch a 1L starter of Wyeast 1056. Then, you would start being able to predict when the fermentation is done. Not that kraeusen is really an indicator that fermentation is over.

Generally it seems to take about three days on my beers before it drops. I'm using Better Bottles now instead of a bucket so I can watch the process as it happens. It's cool to be able to see it happen now.

Back