Extreme Brewing 'Bargain Priced' at Barnes & Noble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajwillys

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I just bought Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head owner) at Barnes and Noble in their 'bargain priced' section. It was $10, which I believe is a pretty good deal. This was in Cary, NC but it's probably on sale everywhere.

Also, it looks like bn.com has it listed for $10 as well.

Yeah, my girlfriend picked it up for me a month or so back from B&N. She said she saw it on the cheap racks by the register.

It is the Hardcover version and it is in the B&N Bargain books section, not the clearance tables or anything like that.

I picked it up here in Rochester, NY this afternoon for $9.98. and with my B&N Member discount, $8.98 and out the door for $9.70.

So I take it this is a good book? Should I cop.

I just bought it, been reading for a while now.

Not bad, nothing groundbreaking... definitely written for newbies, spends a lot of time on the basics.

Lots of interesting and detailed recipes though, walks you from basic to unusual.

It's nice for the Dogfish Head clones right from the brewers themselves. Some of the other recipes seem really interesting. But yes I think the whole front section on "what is beer?" and How to brew seem a little strange in a book for "Extreme Brewing"

It's nice for the Dogfish Head clones right from the brewers themselves. Some of the other recipes seem really interesting. But yes I think the whole front section on "what is beer?" and How to brew seem a little strange in a book for "Extreme Brewing"

I agree... I never would have paid MORE than $10 for it, as I consider the whole first half of the book a waste, but the second half is great, with unusual recipes, and clone recipes, and some cooking recipes and what not, so I was happy to find it in the mark down section at BN.

I also thought that "extreme" would mean less beginner talk. I also expected "extreme" to include all-grain recipes.

While the recipes in the book are great, I was quite surprised that there aren't any AG recipes in it.

I also feel that if a new brewer uses nothing but this book as research, they will be missing some important info.

That being said $10 is easily worth the recipes you get out of it.

I also thought that "extreme" would mean less beginner talk. I also expected "extreme" to include all-grain recipes.

While the recipes in the book are great, I was quite surprised that there aren't any AG recipes in it.

I also feel that if a new brewer uses nothing but this book as research, they will be missing some important info.

That being said $10 is easily worth the recipes you get out of it.

Yeah, extract recipes in a book like this made no sense to me either...
but, they should be easily converted to AG, and then the book is worth it

This was the second brew book I read when I first started. I got it as a present, but they left the sticker on it 9.78. I'm kind of curious about the wildflower wheat recipe. I don't have the book in front of me but I think it had you add chamomile? I had a friend who threw count chocula in a stout once...it actually turned out pretty well. I've also heard of someone who throws jolly ranchers in primary. Anyone try anything crazy...i'm sorry...extreme like that?

not the 120, but the 60 minute is

Included are (Brewery Recipes):
T'Ej - Dogfish Head
Wildflower Wheat - Dogfish Head
Imperial Stout - Avery
Belgian Wit - Allagash
60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head
Indian Brown Ale - Dogfish Head
Raison D'Etre - Dogfish Head
Midas Touch - Dogfish Head
Mo Betta Bretta - Dogfish Head
Hopfather Double IPA - Russian River

There are also recipes for (non-brewery recipes):
Imperial Pale Ale
Dark Star Licorice Stout
Blood Orange Hefeweizen
Ginger Saison
Tripel 'Round The World
Kiwit
Imperial Pilsner
Peppercorn Rye-Bock
Molasses Marzen
Punkin' Porter
Sour Cherry Ale
Big Mama's Barleywine
Crandaddy Braggot
Port Barrel Aged Belgian Brown Ale
Dema-Goddess Ale

I tried buying it yesteray but they only have the soft cover copy. The hard cover one is the one on sale for $10. They told me to order it online for $10 and shipping would be $3.

I stopped in at the local BN, on my way home from work Friday, and was lucky enough to snag the last one on the bargain shelf. Good little addition to my growing brew book library.

Back