Looking to try Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
Yeah I know its so easy to make, I've tried Twice! So either one of two things is happening. 1. I keep infecting or ruining my batches somehow. I let one sit for 3 months so I don't think its time. or 2. I don't like Apfelwein. But I have read so much about it I want to try it from someone who has a known good batch.

But I have a good Maple Wheat Ale on tap that I can bottle a couple of in trade for a couple good bottles of Apfelwein. If you can wait a few weeks I have a Stone IPA clone in the keg but its still to young and an Alaskan Amber clone in the keg that is way to young. Also a hefeweizen that was either infected or just needs to age but got some off flavors in it because I let the fermentation temperature fluctuate (love controller is only as good as the person operating it). So if your willing to part with a couple bottles of Apfelwein to let someone else taste its goodness I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Where are located? Shipping cost is a factor to be considered for trades.
Sit for 3 months? - Mine is conditioning for 4 months, and I'm not even thinking of tasting it for at least another 4 months. I just moved the ageing keg into my keggerator to crash cool it for bottling. I'm hoping to start a second batch in the next couple of weeks. Got to fill that pipeline.

located in Frederick, MD about 45 minutes from DC and Baltimore. Well if it does take that long then I guess I wanna try it to see if its worth the wait and the space in a carboy :)

The stone clone turned out quite well. It may not be Stone quality but its a good IPA IMO. I'm now offering the Maple wheat ale which I have gotten quite a few good comments on, as well as some IPA, and some Dark lager, and some Alaskan Amber(havent tried yet but it smells very good, forcing carbing started today)

So thats 4 bottles of quite drinkable beer and I'm asking in exchange 2 bottles of quality apfelwein. I can double up on all but the maple wheat (it's running low) so thats 7 bottles for 2. Someones gotta take me up on this.

I would but gave away all my bottles of apfelwein already, I have another batch going but just started it a couple days ago :eek:/ Otherwise I'd definitely take you up on it.

well try this.

take a 1 gallon bottle of apple juice.
sanitize the bottle.
open the bottle and pour half the bottle into a second sanitized container. add 1/2 lb of dextrose
shake vigerously
add as much as you can of the apple juice back in leaving about an inch head space
add the yeast
using a carboy cap that fits over the top add the airlock. ill post pics in a few
this is a pic of an exp batch of 50/50 mixed berry / apple juice mix
3097296358_180620cf22_o.jpg

I'm thinking it's kind of hard to screw up on making Apfelwein maybe you should just age it longer. Also not everyone likes the taste Apfelwein, it's good but I find myself drinking less and less of it over time, my last batch took me and my wife 6 months to drink after aging it for 6 months and that was with using it for brining a turkey and other various cooking. I have had a lot of people tell me it tastes sort of like a white wine and if your not a wine drinker you may not like Apfelwein. I'm finding that I like my alcohol lower and my attenuation low so I get more what I would consider Irish Hard Cider, so I use ale yeast and DME apposed to corn sugar and champagne yeast but then your not making Apfelwein.

Yunus - let me double check the date, but I have some force carb'd apfelwein I can put in bottles that I am pretty sure is about 8 months old. If you haven't found anyone to send some by late next week (the soonest I could even consider getting some mailed out) I can send a couple bottles out to you.

well try this.

take a 1 gallon bottle of apple juice.
sanitize the bottle.
open the bottle and pour half the bottle into a second sanitized container. add 1/2 lb of dextrose
shake vigerously
add as much as you can of the apple juice back in leaving about an inch head space
add the yeast
using a carboy cap that fits over the top add the airlock. ill post pics in a few
this is a pic of an exp batch of 50/50 mixed berry / apple juice mix
3097296358_180620cf22_o.jpg

How'd you like this? I did a similar mixed berry exp. with probably 2/3 apple to mixed berry. Just transferred to a keg last night. Drinking the hydro sample it really tasted no different from the first reg batch I remember. I had also used a mix of corn sugar and brown sugar. Also used nottingham yeast....hmm lots of changes but no real flavor change yet. maybe it'll come out. I could definitely smell the berry in the AlePail when cleaning it. This will now be my permenant Apfelwein fermenter.

Well I went to a local club meeting and someone brought in some Apfelwein. I guess I'm that one guy that doesnt like it to much. So I tried it at least but its just not my thing I guess.

I also quite like it hot with mulling spices, but your right, not everyone loves apfelwein...just like not everyone is going to like Arrogant Bastard even though it is a HUGELY popular beer.

How'd you like this? I did a similar mixed berry exp. with probably 2/3 apple to mixed berry. Just transferred to a keg last night. Drinking the hydro sample it really tasted no different from the first reg batch I remember. I had also used a mix of corn sugar and brown sugar. Also used nottingham yeast....hmm lots of changes but no real flavor change yet. maybe it'll come out. I could definitely smell the berry in the AlePail when cleaning it. This will now be my permenant Apfelwein fermenter.

i havent sampled this one yet. its going on 3 months so dont want to mess with it. ;-) the cranberry mix was just awesome. thats actually whats in the bottle. i need to tape the carbed keg of the orig to see how it tastes at 5 months. i think i will take a sample tonight and let you know how i like it.

Back