Starter specifics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b767fo

Reaction score
I am trying my first lager ( my temp controller just arrived from more beer; 2 days after ordering - ca to nh - not bad!) and am in somewhat of a quandary. Palmer suggests pitching the starter at a temp near the lager ferment temp, Snyder says room temp, and the guy at the lhbs says don't even bother because the vial of WLP 820 has enough yeast to pitch straight into the wort. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If it's a vial...make a starter. Besides, making a starter a couple of days prior to brewing ALWAYS saves you time, frustration, and disappointment.

Some people pitch cold, some room temp (me...). The point is the wort and yeast should be about the same temp because there is less shock to the yeast. :D

Thanks for the info. I am doing the starter in the fridge ( 55 deg F) to see how it works. So far ( ~ 24 hrs) it is slowly building a krausen, pretty much as I expected. I'll give it a few more days and then do the brew.

I got a vial of WLP029 and on their website they said I would not need a starter if the gravity was 1.070 and higher or if it is past the expiration date. Since I will be making a Kolsch, will I need to make a starter as well?

Both of the big liquid yeast manufactures say there is enough yeast in their packs for a 5 gallon batch but I say make a starter. For one thing you will confirm that the yeast is viable. For a second, you will decrease the lag time before fermentation starts.:mug:

I went to White Labs site, they say make a 1-2 pint 1.040 gravity wort. How much LME would I need to do that?
Thank you in advance.

Latest posts

Back