At what point is it necessary to add yeast when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunoffun

Reaction score
I've currently got two carboys going on the same wort... one w/ WL004 (irish ale) and the other w/ WL002 (english ale). My plans are to keep in the primaries for at least 2-4 weeks, rack to secondaries, then cold crash for another 2 weeks (maybe more) to around 35 degrees, and possibly add some sort of finings in order to attempt to achieve as much clarity as possible. After that - prime, bottle & store for 4 weeks.

My question - does anyone think I'll need to add yeast when bottling in these conditions? Since I'm aiming for as much clarity / least sediment as possible, I'd rather not unless required.

I only use yeast at bottling if its a high alcohol beer and I'm concerned my yeast have been stressed.

Thanks guys. It's not often the answer you want to hear is the one you actually get :)

how high is "high alcohol" in this case? I've been brewing some middle-strength (OG 1060 FG 1015) brews... Have been wondering if I should re-yeast at bottling as the conditioning hasn't always gone as well as I'd hoped.

how high is "high alcohol" in this case? I've been brewing some middle-strength (OG 1060 FG 1015) brews... Have been wondering if I should re-yeast at bottling as the conditioning hasn't always gone as well as I'd hoped.

No, we're talking more like an og of 1.090-ish. You really don't need to worry. ;)

Latest posts

Back