My Hops Broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
Well went to water my cascade plant yesterday and noticed that the tip(approx 1" had snapped and was hanging there(plant is now aprrox 8" tall). I was :(

Should I now clip this bine off at dirt level or leave it? It won't grow any further correct? It was the main shoot coming off the rhizome too.

There is another bine popping up through the soil now that is about 1" tall now.

Thanks for the help

Let 'er be. That particular head won't grow any further, but that bine might put out another runner from one of the crooks where the leaves sprout from.

I had one break also....Now it shot up 2 runners from where a set of leaves where.....I can only guess that those 2 will not grow as high though....

I have had a few break as well. If I have another shoot that isn't too far behind, I will clip the broken one off at dirt level and let it focus on the good one. Mine are first year plants.

A tip of one of my cascades got nipped one very cold night. It has not grown past that point but the rhizome has shot up a fair number of vines. So I had many new ones to choose from, hopefully over the next few weeks hopefully you to will have some fresh new vines.

I broke a magnum off about 1" above the ground leaving only two leaves. It got bushy (as bushy as a 2" tall hops plant can get) for about two weeks and then finally shot up a side runner from the broken stem and it is growing like crazy. I still have not had it send up another from the rhizome though.

So the tip of my 2nd year Mt. Hood shoot broke... The bine is 9' high and trellised the whole way... Only 4 inches broke off the top. It won't grow any longer?

Once a bine is broken, it almost never gets going again. That's one reason you train multiple bines.

Back