This motor severe overkill for my mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizz

Reaction score
I have a 6" 3-roller monster mill. My corded drill is struggling with this thing and I have to run it full speed or it'll lock up. The grain is shot out more than it's actually being crushed. I've been looking for motors and I'd prefer to have a direct driven motor. I found this used bodine and it's beefy, with 180in/lbs & 154RPM. I guess what I need to know is if anyone has encounter a motor not strong enough for a 6" roller mill and what the specs were.

Surplus Center Item Detail

Sizz; if it were my unit I would use a LoveJoy direct drive coupling to drive your grain crusher hence preventing adding more side force with a pulley system on those bushings.
Yes you will have a little bushing side force from the grain being crushed why add more when a simple direct coupling drive will make a safer cleaner installation without pulleys and belts. Remember to add time and materials to the cost for a safety shield if pulleys and a belt drive system are used. I bet that motor has plenty of power and the perfect rpm's for your crusher needs.
The cost of $75 is the only difference I see vs using a free motor.

Good advice. The mill shaft is only 3/8" so I decided to go with a direct drive. I'm trying to keep it inexpensive so I just ordered a spider coupling from McMaster for about $20. I'm not familar with LoveJoy couplings.

JMHO, but unless you are running a brewpub or a homebrew supply shop, any motor seems like overkill to me for the amount of grain we do and the frequency of use.

Looking at another post about a stand/motor build and it's grinding 20 lbs in 2 minutes - and getting used once every week or two at most. Might take all of 3 minutes by hand with the same mill, I'm guessing - even if it it takes 4-5 minutes, is it that big a deal? I'm still using a corona-type with the hand-crank, which is definitely slow, but not hard (hard is grinding cornmeal with the thing).

???

well a neighbor had a dryer they were 'curb alerting' so I hopped over, and lifted the motor out of that thing -it runs 110vAC. Have no idea how strong it is, but I'm gonna run some wire to it and see. I have no issues with motorizing my grain mill (barly crusher was my choice) -hell, its kinda part of the fun. Still building my all-grain brewery though, so the first batch of grain will just be hand-cranked through (already cracking specialty steeping grains rather than having the LHBS do it -after seeing some of their output, I figured I was better off buying the grain uncracked and using my own gear)

Having a motorized mill is definitely a luxury. But I factor in the fun of creating it and years of 'evil grin' while your mill destroys heaps of grain as you drink your previous batch.

The motor came in & I am extremely pleased with it. It came with a huge (3" long x1.5" wide x4" tall) capacitor which hopefully will allow the beast to start with grains already loaded.

DSC_0021.JPG

JMHO, but unless you are running a brewpub or a homebrew supply shop, any motor seems like overkill to me for the amount of grain we do and the frequency of use.

Looking at another post about a stand/motor build and it's grinding 20 lbs in 2 minutes - and getting used once every week or two at most. Might take all of 3 minutes by hand with the same mill, I'm guessing - even if it it takes 4-5 minutes, is it that big a deal? I'm still using a corona-type with the hand-crank, which is definitely slow, but not hard (hard is grinding cornmeal with the thing).

???

One of the greatest reasons for doing a project like this is the famous response, "Because it is there" or "Because I can" Some people just like to build things. Its enjoyment to make and then use it. You do not always have to have a need to make something. Sometimes it is just because they can.

How come everyone on here needs to crush their grain in such a short time!

When brewery's crush straight into the mash, I can see the need for a healthy throughput of grain, but for us, I would have thought that slower crushing means less dust. I will be setting up my mill to trundle round at a gentle speed, then allow the grain to gently sprinkle onto the rollers, rather than sitting on top of them. If it takes half an hour, who cares! the motor is doing the work, and my way, each grain is getting individual attention, in less crowded conditions!!

I am about to complete my home made 2 roller mill, which is a geared together version of a monster mill. The rollers are 3" dia and 7" long and I have not knurled them, but can if it is needed. The gap is going to be set at .040" but I can soon make it adjustable within the limits of the gear teeth mesh if I want to..

Oops, forgot all about this post. I have named it Millzilla and it's been a great workhorse. I do get some flour but it's fairly minimal. It crushes 10lbs in about 30 seconds. I agree about lowering the RPM's. My goal was never to crush as fast as possible. I just wanted a stout motor that would last forever and not blink when I start it with grain loaded. Not sure if I mentioned this before but the gear motor was made in 1974. I changed the oil even though it looked good.

Good eyes Kuglehaus, it is a lathe and horizontal band saw peeking up. Not mine though. My lab has decent fabrication shop and they let me play there after hours.

Motorized_Mill.jpg

Latest posts

Back