Russian Imperial Stout - starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KELLEHERC

Reaction score
I just picked up a Russian Imperial Stout kit that contained dry yeast pack.

Kit says OG 1.078-1.08
Yeast - Dry 11.5g English Ale Safale s-04 (Fermentis)
best by date: 2012 Oct.

I have read many threads.

Is a starter needed in this case?
Recommended or not needed at all?

Any other recommendations before I brew?
(will be trying a full boil)

Thanks

Not recommended with a dry yeast pack. If it was a Wyeast or White Labs yes it would be good measure.

I think Mr. Malty calculated 1.6 packs - but I have never used it before
Maybe that's not a big enough difference to matter.

No starter, really, but you're underpitching by a bit with just one yeast pack. At the least, I'd rehydrate it properly first.

If you've got the time/nearby LHBS, I'd just run out and buy another pack of dry yeast. Opinions on starters for dry yeast generally fall somewhere between "making a starter is actually harmful to the dry yeast" and "I could buy another pack of dry yeast for cheaper than the dme for the starter". You might be ok without a second one, but it would give you piece of mind for a few bucks.

I recently pitched 1 pack of Wyeast 1084 in my stout, and never considered adding a second or creating a starter. (This is my second batch ever.) Now, less than four days after inoculation, fermentation activity has slowed significantly. I worry that I should have made a starter, since several recipes similar to what I'm brewing call for multiple packs, or 160 billion cells. The recipe and instructions in my kit from the LHBS made no mention of a starter, or needing more than one smack pack--after all they, only sold me one!

Regardless, I'll probably RDWHAHB, but does anyone think it odd that a LHBS would sell me an incomplete recipe or kit? Of course, I hope to be proven wrong, and for my brew to turn out great.

I recently pitched 1 pack of Wyeast 1084 in my stout, and never considered adding a second or creating a starter. (This is my second batch ever.) Now, less than four days after inoculation, fermentation activity has slowed significantly. I worry that I should have made a starter, since several recipes similar to what I'm brewing call for multiple packs, or 160 billion cells. The recipe and instructions in my kit from the LHBS made no mention of a starter, or needing more than one smack pack--after all they, only sold me one!

Regardless, I'll probably RDWHAHB, but does anyone think it odd that a LHBS would sell me an incomplete recipe or kit? Of course, I hope to be proven wrong, and for my brew to turn out great.

Quit possible your primary fermenation has just finished as it is supposed too. Usually mine finish between 4-7 days.

Back