The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that being out of town for the majority of 2013 in a tiny, boring town made Fantasy something to really look forward to.

I've been wanting to post on this thread for a month now but haven't had access to my gosh darn computer. Something changed on my app for my phone so I cannot post from it. Frustrating.
I just got back from Brazil and the final of the World Cup. I was hoping to post pictures in real time, it was not meant to be. It was such a treat to be there, and on the side where the play that scored the goal started. I was screaming my guts out, along with 80,000 others. What a spectacle! When I transfer photos to the computer I"ll post some. Cheers.

So apparently there was a game here tonight. Had no idea.

Heh, not a fan of the ASG?

With the exception of the game-winner, the goals were freaking quality.

But of course, Eurosnobs are using their tired speech: if the All-Stars win then obviously it doesn't matter because it's a friendly and not the entire starting XI. If the All-Stars lose it obviously proves MLS is a retirement league.

But of course, Eurosnobs are using their tired speech: if the All-Stars win then obviously it doesn't matter because it's a friendly and not the entire starting XI. If the All-Stars lose it obviously proves MLS is a retirement league.

I'm a eurosnob, I guess :confused:, and I enjoyed the game. I prefer to use the "tired speech" go All-stars, F#@* Bayern munich. I hate Bayern.

Question...if eurosnobs are people who like watching European leagues, what are people that will only watch MLS purely out of principal? Soccer patriots?

Wait, so "liking" to watch European soccer makes one a "euro snob"? That seems a bit restrictive and insulting. What about those that like it all because its a great game?

Also - there was a great article on ESPN (http://www.espnfc.us/concacaf-champ...ampions-league-pivotal-to-major-league-soccer) that makes a strong point - that if MLS is TRULY making advancements (as I believe it is) then it must be reflected through improved performances in the concacaf champions league or we risk the hype over-reaching the quality. I thunk there is some truth to that - though I believe there is no one litmus test to measure the growth, quality, and respect for MLS - perhaps other than the passion of the fans.

I guess I might be a Euro snob too. I live in Europe and pretty much only watch European football. To be honest I didn't even know that the all-star game was happening till I saw Pep being a ******.

Sent from tropical Finland

I'm a eurosnob, I guess :confused:, and I enjoyed the game. I prefer to use the "tired speech" go All-stars, F#@* Bayern munich. I hate Bayern.

Question...if eurosnobs are people who like watching European leagues, what are people that will only watch MLS purely out of principal? Soccer patriots?

Wait, so "liking" to watch European soccer makes one a "euro snob"? That seems a bit restrictive and insulting. What about those that like it all because its a great game?

Also - there was a great article on ESPN (http://www.espnfc.us/concacaf-champ...ampions-league-pivotal-to-major-league-soccer) that makes a strong point - that if MLS is TRULY making advancements (as I believe it is) then it must be reflected through improved performances in the concacaf champions league or we risk the hype over-reaching the quality. I thunk there is some truth to that - though I believe there is no one litmus test to measure the growth, quality, and respect for MLS - perhaps other than the passion of the fans.

Eurosnobs are not those who simply like to watch European soccer. They are those who shun the domestic game and do everything they can to bash it. The worst are those who live in MLS cities and still won't watch and instead support a team they will likely never see live and have absolutely no ties to the location.

So NBCSN hates Arsenal apparently? They have been playing the best matches from last season... So far 3 with Arsenal... Losing 5-1 vs Liverpool, 5-0 vs Chelsea, 4-0 vs Everton....guess they couldn't find one winning match from the #4 team?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Eurosnobs are not those who simply like to watch European soccer. They are those who shun the domestic game and do everything they can to bash it. The worst are those who live in MLS cities and still won't watch and instead support a team they will likely never see live and have absolutely no ties to the location.

I don't do everything I can to bash MLS, but otherwise I'm guilty as charged. I'll watch the occasional Dynamo game, but the production value of the Comcast Sports Net telecast is lower than NBC's. It's local, but it's still a minor league. Finding a game is kind of tricky; I never know when they're on or what channel, and when I find out, it's often at an inconvenient time. But I do hope the MLS gets bigger and better.

Watching Chicago v. NY...in Spanish.
I wish it weren't so difficult to be an MLS fan.

I don't do everything I can to bash MLS, but otherwise I'm guilty as charged. I'll watch the occasional Dynamo game, but the production value of the Comcast Sports Net telecast is lower than NBC's. It's local, but it's still a minor league. Finding a game is kind of tricky; I never know when they're on or what channel, and when I find out, it's often at an inconvenient time. But I do hope the MLS gets bigger and better.
Let me start by saying you are not a Eurosnob... you are exactly the type of fan we want to attract en masse. You seem open to the idea but what consistent results. Give it time... this league is on track to become huge by the time MLS 3.0 is in full swing (i.e. 2022, the projected date to get the league to 24 teams.)

However, I just can't consider it minor league. Yes, there are some lower quality games at times. But I've watched enough to know that there are many many moments of individual and team greatness. I'd put MLS in the Top 10 leagues of the world.

As far as the times, there are a ton of outlets to find that information. Heck, since I check MLSsoccer.com my phone tells me when matches are starting.

BUT GOOD NEWS!! There's a massive new TV deal starting next season. There will be three nationally televised matches every week, same bat time, same bat channel. And I think several clubs have signed new local deals. ESPN is going to be focusing on MLS now that they are not longer doing EPL. That will play huge.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement is happening at the end of this season as well so expect to see changes that will allow teams to play with more money to bring in big names and improve academies and youth development.

It's not. MLS Live. $60 at the beginning of the season.

I'm watching CHIvNY and VANvSKC in English.

Yeah, I just wish it had better TV coverage. I didn't get MLS live earlier, so I'm not doing it this season. Maybe next season. Hoping to be back in Chicago before next season. I think ComCast carries more games.

Definition of a Eurosnob: he who states a game between two relegation bound clubs like West Ham and Sunderland was awesome and "great" soccer and continues in the same sentence to crap all over MLS even though they haven't watched an MLS game this decade.

Definition of a Eurosnob: he who states a game between two relegation bound clubs like West Ham and Sunderland was awesome and "great" soccer and continues in the same sentence to crap all over MLS even though they haven't watched an MLS game this decade.

THIS! Thank you. That's perfect.

Damn. one other key aspect of defining Eurosnobbery.

2. He who refers to any European club in the possessive sense even if the subject has never been to a home match in the city let alone been on the European continent. An example... We (referring to Man City) totally crushed Arsenal today 6-3.

You sir, are a d-bag.

damn. One other key aspect of defining eurosnobbery.

2. He who refers to any european club in the possessive sense even if the subject has never been to a home match in the city let alone been on the european continent. An example... We (referring to man city) totally crushed arsenal today 6-3.

You sir, are a d-bag.

Sent from my iphone using home brew

+1

2. He who refers to any European club in the possessive sense even if the subject has never been to a home match in the city let alone been on the European continent. An example... We (referring to Man City) totally crushed Arsenal today 6-3.

You sir, are a d-bag.

Orson-welles-clapping.gif

Ugg We lost to Arsenal in the Community Shield 3-0. The good news though is Manchester United won it last year, and look how that turned out. :)

The eurosnob vs. MLS fan debate is super constructive.

You sir, are a d-bag.

The fact that you've determined that someone is a d-bag, without ever meeting the person, purely based on how they talk about soccer on an internet forum says a lot more about you that it does about the "d-bag".

You sir, are a d-bag.

So if I support a team from England, get up at the crack of dawn to watch every game live on TV, go to the pub and watch them, have a closet full of shirts and other various clothing from them, but have never seen them play in person or payed a crap ton of money to fly over the ocean and set foot on the same continent as them I'm not allowed to refer to myself in the collective sense with them? And if I do suddenly I've become a d-bag?

Right....

My opinion is has nothing to do with people on an Internet forum.

Having been very involved in the game for the past 30 years, I've had personal conversations with more people than I can count that qualify them for d-bag status. I've supported the LA Galaxy since day 1. I was at the first match at the arose Bowl in 96 and been to hundreds since. I've played with, against and met many of the Galaxy players from the late 90's. I still don't refer to the Galaxy as we.

I just can't stand the guy who in a conversation crushes MLS yet hasn't watched a game in years and then says "oh we won a great game this morning". My response, oh yeah, Sunday League? who do you play for? Oh I don't play, I support [insert popular Euro Club here]. It's just obnoxious.

Whatever, we're gonna disagree on this...

My opinion is has nothing to do with people on an Internet forum.

Having been very involved in the game for the past 30 years, I've had personal conversations with more people than I can count that qualify them for d-bag status. I've supported the LA Galaxy since day 1. I was at the first match at the arose Bowl in 96 and been to hundreds since. I've played with, against and met many of the Galaxy players from the late 90's. I still don't refer to the Galaxy as we.

I just can't stand the guy who in a conversation crushes MLS yet hasn't watched a game in years and then says "oh we won a great game this morning". My response, oh yeah, Sunday League? who do you play for? Oh I don't play, I support [insert popular Euro Club here]. It's just obnoxious.

Whatever, we're gonna disagree on this...

Well at least you know I'm in the same boat :mug:

I'm really sorry that your 30 years of soccer has been riddled with d-bags.

Based on conversations I've had with other Americans that are soccer-lifers I'd say dealing with dickwads is more of the rule rather than the exception.

Amen. To many people I've run into over the years that turn up a nose to mls while touting lower level Euro clubs that couldn't hold a candle to some of the talent in the US. It's like college football yes the SEC has top of the line and the gold standard teams, but they also hold barely DIV1 qualifying talent such as Kentucky and Tennessee.

The Championship is a stronger league then the MLS. I root for the Galaxy and the MLS is improving, but it still has a ways to go.

Last thing i'll say about the MLS vs. Eurosnob debate.....
I don't recall anyone in the 400+ pages of this thread, who refuses to support MLS yet supports a European club, therefore, I'm not sure why we are even talking about it. It seems overly passive aggressive towards those of us who follow European clubs. If you guys want to make this thread exclusively about MLS, please make that clear.

It's just a friendly thread derailment we can get back to talking about all football.

It's comical how I used to defend soccer to the fools who'd say it's not a sport or say it's the most boring game ever and then wax poetic about the thrilling 1-0 baseball game last night with four hits. Now I'm arguing with people who make broad stroke assertions like "the Championship is a better league than "the" MLS.

Anyway, I'm happy the BPL starts this weekend because I am typically up with my 5 year old son before the rest of the family wakes up and it's nice to turn on the tv and watch a few minutes of some games with him. I just wish we had the Bundesliga on tv here since it's more technical ball.

Depends on who you talk to

Was it constructive in any way? I don't think so. It was just a bunch of comments about how anyone that likes european leagues but doesn't like the MLS is a eurosnob *********. Why don't we just let everyone like what they are going to like and move on with our lives?

Back