Small cooking wine test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
So today I saw my Mr beer keg laying around, I haven't seen it in about a year. So I decided to give something a try since it would be a smaller batch.

I already had the stuff at home so it's nothing fancy, but I'm not sure I would drink it by itself. It's made with jalapenos and onions and that is it.

I ended up like this:
1 lb sweet onions (peeled and cut in half)
8 medium sized jalapenos with stems cut off
Water and sugar to fill container with starting gravity at 1.05
A little energizer + nutrient (not enough of either for the amount needed for 2.5g per directions)
1 packet Montrachet yeast

Just pitched about an hour ago.

I make lots of Jalapeno wine (with apple, with mango). Turns out good. Never used onion before though. I'm sure it's fine.

Checked on the wine this morning. It's bubbling away still and currently at 1.03. I tried the sample and it was "hot" with jalapenos flavor. The alcohol content isn't very high because of the low starting gravity but that's on purpose since it's not really meant for straight consumption, more so for marinades and cooking.

Although, the flavor did have a sweet back end to it which made that initial jalapeno flavor mellow out.

We'll see what happens when it dries out though!

Back