Dark Munich from Light Munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to approximate Dark Munich malt (20L) by roasting Light Munich in the oven? I brew organic, and have not been able to locate Organic Dark Munich.

There are lots of threads on home roasting your own grain.

The general process for a munich style roast is to hold the grain around 300 degrees. Stir periodically. Time is going to depend on how light your light munich is and how dark you want your dark munich + the actual temp of the grain bed.

Then, put he grain in a paper bag and let it sit a week or 2 before crushing and mashing.

billl, thanks for your input. I have done a fair amount of my own malting (usually 1 lb batches) for malts I can't get at my LHBS, such as aromatic and brown malt. I've made crystal malts, but Munich is a bit more involved. I was hoping to approximate the flavor and aroma of dark Munich by taking light Munich and roasting it until it is about 20 Lovibond. Has anyone done this successfully? It would be a lot easier than starting with green malt.

Funny...last week I toasted some light Munich for about 40 mins @ 350F because I couldn't get any dark or even caramunich from the local shop. It seemed to have come out OK. The fermentable qualities of the malt seem to have been removed...

Brewin a Dunkles this Sunday....will advise.

If you are just looking for darker color in the beer than toasting it will do that. The flavor will not be the same as dark munich. It will taste like toasted munich

Maibock addict? I have been wanting to try a Maibock but haven't brewed one yet. What yeast do you use? Thanks for the info on toasting Munich. I'll use it to add character, flavor mostly, and a little color.

Actually, my first maibock. I've got a very nice bock that people really like and thought I'd try a paler hoppier version. Tasted great going into the keg!

Maibock addict? I have been wanting to try a Maibock but haven't brewed one yet. What yeast do you use? Thanks for the info on toasting Munich. I'll use it to add character, flavor mostly, and a little color.

I use the white labs Bock yeast 833. Its the same strain used @ Ayinger

If you are just looking for darker color in the beer than toasting it will do that. The flavor will not be the same as dark munich. It will taste like toasted munich

Brewing with toasted Munich now (a dunkel). Definitely darker, and the toasted Munich seems to provide some aromatics as well. Stay tuned!

I use 833 a LOT! And I really like to use home toasted malts. I'm curious to get a report on the head of the finished product. It seems to me that when I use home toasted malt, I get extra creamy, stiff foam so I'm curious to hear if other get this

What flavor does Dark Munich add?

It has a richer flavor and color than light Munich. Have not used it in a while, but think Spaten Optimator. That is close to a batch of Doppel that I made a while back with 30% dark Munich. Remember, it is fermentable, not like crystal malts where it just adds unfermentables.

I use 833 a LOT! And I really like to use home toasted malts. I'm curious to get a report on the head of the finished product. It seems to me that when I use home toasted malt, I get extra creamy, stiff foam so I'm curious to hear if other get this

I hope so...will advise...also making a Doppelbock next Sunday with some of that toasted Munich.

I have been negligent in experimenting more with home toasted malts. I always forget to do it when I have a chance. And you are supposed to let the toasted malts sit for a week before using according to what I have heard and seen on doing such things...

"Remember, it is fermentable, not like crystal malts where it just adds unfermentables."

Not sure where you got that info, but it is definitely not true. Crystal malts have a higher percentage of unfermentable sugar, but they still have significant fermentable sugar - especially if mashed.

.....And you are supposed to let the toasted malts sit for a week before using according to what I have heard and seen on doing such things...

That is the lore out there. I can't say I've noticed. I haven't really tested it though. I have gone as short as 2 days after roasting before using.

I usually will toast up around 2 lbs or so at a time and typically use 0.5 lbs in a 5 gal batch.

"Remember, it is fermentable, not like crystal malts where it just adds unfermentables."

Not sure where you got that info, but it is definitely not true. Crystal malts have a higher percentage of unfermentable sugar, but they still have significant fermentable sugar - especially if mashed.

Yes you are right, but it adds less than base malts. When I do use crystal I don't count it toward my alcohol target if I am making something specific.

I never thought about it before, but a just emptied keg of brown ale made with home toasted brown malt was very smooth with nice creamy foam. I just finished toasting some light Munich to darken it up a bit. I'll have to see how that turns out in the first brew I use it in.

Back