quick efficiency check required please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
8.5 UK lbs of pale malt mashed in 4 UK gals of water, rinsed with a further 4 UK gals, a 45 minute boil left me with 5.5 UK gallons with SG 12.7 BRIX, thanks.

1 imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallon
1 lb is 1 lb
The yield for UK pale malt is 38 points per pound per US gallon (for every batch of UK pale malt I've ever used where I've got an analysis).
Promash and Beersmith translate 12.7 brix to 1.049.
So 8.5 (lbs) * 38 (yield) / 6.6 (US gallons) = 49 points per gallon or an SG of 1.049.
So from your figures, you got 100% efficiency.
I think you should check your measurements.

-a.

tektonjp - you are right, and I have, I was out testing the commercial beer market in the UK yesterday ! I clearly cannot be getting 100% but I mash with 5 pints of water to each pound of pale malt and sparge with another 3 gallons approx. After 5 days the beer is nearly ready to bottle, .....

tektonjp - you are right, and I have, I was out testing the commercial beer market in the UK yesterday ! I clearly cannot be getting 100% but I mash with 5 pints of water to each pound of pale malt and sparge with another 3 gallons approx. After 5 days the beer is nearly ready to bottle, .....

Don't bottle it so soon. The yeast will do a lot more work clearing the beer and cleaning up off flavors naturally produced during fermentation. Leave the beer in primary for at least another week. 3-4 weeks total would be better.

Latest posts

Back