Apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleuChien

Reaction score
So I wanted to brew an apple spiced amber, and its been chugging along pretty great. In the boil I used some cinnamon, clove, and allspice. When I trasferred to the secondary I added a vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, and 2oz of extract (Ive read on here where people have used the whole bottle, but the bottle only said 2oz per gallons). I didnt want the apple to be the main character and wanted it just to be a profile. When I took the gravity reading after two weeks in the secondary, the apple is not there at all. It has nice spice but the apple hint isnt there. So I used the sample and added more extract to try to see if that would be appropriate but did not like the flavor at all.

So here is my question: Should I add some apples to the secondary to try to capture some more flavor?

Thanks for the help.

Try adding apple juice. For future reference...avoid extracts. They're worthless and usually end up tasting completely different from the flavor they're described as.

Thanks for the tip. I was not impressed with the extract one bit. Will be fruit and juice here on out IMO.

It says pasteurized 100% pure apple juice. Can I pour this directly into secondary rather than racking onto it?

Latest posts

Back