diy stirplate lm317 help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryptonic84

Reaction score
I am ignorant to reading electronic schematics and am looking to upgrade my DIY stirplate to include the LM317 circuit. my problem is that after searching thread upon thread it all leads back to follow the schematic. so i tried to make the circuit but to no avail, the plate doesn't work. so, the question is, does anyone know of or can put together a step by step procedure for making the circuit? I have all the parts from the parts list. any help would be amazing. thanks

I bought one of the DYI kits from Stirplates.com. Excellent price, elegant design and fast shipping.:D

Thanks!

A couple things to look at. Make sure you have the proper orientation on the LM317. It's easy to flip them backwards and confuse the Vin with the Adjust. Second, the common schematic out there doesn't really show how to wire the adjustment pot, it looks like you just use the center wiper and one side of the pot. One side of the pot goes to ground, but the other side needs to be tied to the wiper (center).

Hope that helps.

Back