My wines suck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nissed as a pewt

Reaction score
I woke this morning to find instead of giving off gasses both my wines are sucking air back through the airlock. Is this normal?

Actually, no. The only thing I can think of is either a big temperature change (and then the wine formed a vacuum), or a big drop in barometric pressure or something.

You have the airlocks filled right? So air isn't really getting sucked in? I would probably remove the airlocks, clean and sanitize, take a s.g. (and a little taste) and put the airlocks back on.

If it's got sediment on the bottom, I would go ahead and rack and sulfite just to be sure it's protected.

Lorena

Thanks, it was definately colder here this morning brrr!

Fermentation was finished anyway I have removed the airlocks and added the remaining ingredients (these are both kit wines) preservatives and finings and re-fit the airlocks.

They both taste fine, I'm sure they will taste much better after a little time to mature/clear.

As Lorenae said I'd say you're storing your wine in an area subject to temperature fluctuations. Store it somewhere more stable to avoid it.

Back