Do I have an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacula

Reaction score
After putting my blue moon clone from the primary to the secondary I noticed small white speckles on top of the brew. The primary was a bucket so I didnt notice untill I put it in the carboy. Also its a little darker then I think it should be.

if it's just a few white circles on top, it's probably yeast. the darkness can be caused by boiling extract a little longer than suggested, but won't hurt it a bit either

I think you have yeast floaties. Very common when brew is moved to secondary. Sometimes they just float around and sometimes they sink but nothing bad comes from them.

NO!

Oh wait, let me actually read the post. No, sounds like yeast rafts. They're just clumps of yeast that float around. Looks strange, but harmless. Did you pull a sample for tasting/gravity testing when you transferred? If so, how did it taste?

As far as the color goes, keep in mind your beer is in a 5gallon bottle, not a 16oz glass, so it will always appear a little bit darker since you're looking through that much more beer.

.no, I forgot to take a reading when I trasfered. (I dont think I should drink and brew anymore):D

Back