Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm about to brew a cherry wheat beer, and I've got a couple questions regarding the cherries.

Has anyone done it before with success (shame on you Sam Adams!)? I'm not a big fan of using flavored extracts....so how much cherry puree should I put in? Should I puree them :confused: ? Oh, and one last question :D Add it to the primary, or secondary?

Appreciate all the advice a young padawan can get.

I have brewed a couple of cherry beers with great success. I have used the Oregon cherries in water and I have used cherry concentrate. I can tell you both gave the same nice cherry pie flavor, but the concentrate is much easier to use. 10 lbs of cherries or the equivalent amount of concentrate will give you a nice full cherry flavor. It is a bit easier to experiment with the concentrate.

Should I just dump the concentrate in the secondary and allow it to ferment again? Or would you recommend just adding it right before bottling?

I added it right in the keg. Also, I used sour cherry concentrate from Michigan that you can buy online. It is something like 68 brix, and equivalent to 45lbs of cherries in a half gallon. Have fun and let us know how it turns out!

Hmmm...25$ is a little steep for a broke college kid. How much would you use for a 5gallon batch?

Back